ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects warning: Bad argument: effect() index out of range, expression disabled.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Ania
After Effects warning: Bad argument: effect() index out of range, expression disabled.
on Oct 20, 2013 at 8:08:21 pm

Hello, I am trying to follow a tutorial in which I am applying the Echospace effect. The problem lies when I try to copy the color from a layer and paste it on the repeated layers. I am not completely sure what the "index-1" does, but I have tried replacing it with "1" which only copies the color from the first point I made on the other layer. I have also tried index+1, which somewhat works. I mean I get the same error, but not on all of the repeated layers. I would be fine with this if they wouldn't change color to white when I tried to change their mode (from "Normal" to "Add"). Am I missing something out?

Thank You.

samplePoint = thisComp.layer("Gradient").effect(index-1)("Point");
sampleRadius = [10,10];
thisComp.layer("Gradient").sampleImage(samplePoint,sampleRadius);

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: After Effects warning: Bad argument: effect() index out of range, expression disabled.
on Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09:51 pm

I don't quite understand what you are doing but "index" is the layer number, "index-1" means the number of the layer above and "index+1" is the number of the layer below if that helps at all.

The Add blending mode does what it says, it adds the RGB color values of the layers together. If that sum is 255 or more you get pure white.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Fernando Ania
Re: After Effects warning: Bad argument: effect() index out of range, expression disabled.
on Oct 20, 2013 at 11:22:11 pm

Thank you, I have just realised that my problem was that the number of instances created by the Echospace effect did not match the number of sample points I created on a layer with a gradient, hence the error "out of range". 8D

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 20, 2013 at 11:36:31 pm

Glad you got it figured out.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]