ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I simply make all the animated project slower without making used footage stroby?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anastasia Arad
How can I simply make all the animated project slower without making used footage stroby?
on Oct 20, 2013 at 1:10:19 pm

Hi,
I have an animation using video footage.

When I put everything in a precomp and make it 130% slower, the footage get stroby, of course.
If I make all the footage inside the precomp 70% faster, in the main comp it is still stroby, because there are still no in-between frames to add.
The time blend plug-in doesn't help.

Thank you,
Anastasia

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: How can I simply make all the animated project slower without making used footage stroby?
on Oct 20, 2013 at 11:26:40 pm

First you could try to turn on Frame Blending on the footage in the pre-comp, then click the Collapse Transformations switch on the pre-comp itself, turn on Frame Blending in the main comp and set the quality to Full to accurately judge how well it's working. I have had many problems with frame blending causing weird artifacts in the video, especially for fast-moving objects or things without a clear edge, etc.

If that doesn't work you can try the Twixtor plug-in, which is supposed to be much better at frame blending than the built-in tools in AE, although I haven't used it myself. The problem is that it's fairly expensive.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: How can I simply make all the animated project slower without making used footage stroby?
on Oct 21, 2013 at 2:46:25 pm

What's the FPS on the video footage? If it's something like 60 then you should make sure the frame rate of the comp is set to that so when you time stretch it you don't any strobing.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 21, 2013 at 3:20:17 pm

Hey Jason,
According to her post, Anastasia is time-stretching the layer to a percentage that is not equally divisible by the frame rate, so AE is forced to repeat or skip frames. The only solution that I'm aware of is some sort of frame blending.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 21, 2013 at 7:50:39 pm

The pixel motion frame blending built into After Effects for the past several versions uses the same kind of technology as Twixtor. Details:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]