ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew FinchDistort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 20, 2013 at 1:40:33 am

Hi. I am attempting to do some "datamoshing" but I don't want to do it by "breaking" an encoder as some people have done, instead I want to do it procedurally in AE or Nuke.

I can output footage with a motion vector channel from PF Track, or I can compute vectors with F_VectorGenerator in Nuke, but I can not find anything that can take the vectors and use them to displace footage.

I have read a couple threads by people trying to do the same thing but they never seemed to come to a workable solution, or at least they never posted it...

I have read about people trying to use AE Timewarp's "Warp Layer" option, but all I can get it to do is apply the inter-frame transform to another layer which only lasts for the time between physical frames.

Is there anything on the market that can use motion vectors in this way?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 20, 2013 at 4:22:10 am

The distort>displacement map effect will distort footage along the horizontal and vertical axes based on input from 2 color channels. With some adjustments to the motion vector data you should be able to get something acceptable.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

andrew FinchRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:43:05 am

As far as I am aware, the Displacement map effect can only deal with one frame at a time. Every frame it would be starting over with the unaffected source image instead of building on movement applied in the previous frame.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:06:19 am

The Echo effect may be useful for accumulating.

Sapphire has a few variations on this idea, too -- S_Feedback, S_TimeAverage, S_Trails.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

andrew FinchRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:10:43 am

Are you saying to use time echo on the motion vector pass?

That might make an interesting smear, but since the vector information moves with the pixel who's motion is being described - adding the vectors spatially would not produce a map that could be used to compute the location of a pixel after multiple frames. - unless I'm misunderstanding.

Return to posts index

dogus aslanRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:37:12 am

you can take a look at re:vision. they have a plugin called real smart motion blur. it has the ability to use motion vectors.

Return to posts index

Noel PowellRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:34:17 am
Last Edited By Noel Powell on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:00:04 am

this is a bit late, but I was able to recreate the datamosh transition look in After Effects using a combination of displacement map, motion tracking, and the echo effect. You can see examples in the first 90 seconds of this video

. There's also some examples in my demo video
It's not a perfect reproduction, but I think it's pretty close, depending on the footage that's used.

After Effects templates - lens flares, light leaks, old film effects, digital glitches, VHS glitches, and more:

Return to posts index

Johnson ThomassonRe: Distort footage with motion vectors (datamosh)
by on Feb 1, 2016 at 7:31:25 pm

Hi Noel,

I love what you were able to do with the datamosh effect. I'm trying to use motion vectors for displacement for a different application. Would you be willing to share the method you came up with?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved