ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need very large but detailed layer for ground

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew BelinkieNeed very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:25:49 pm

I have a project where a 3d car (thanks Element 3d!) drives around on a ground layer, revealing various pieces of text. To fake the effect that the ground goes endlessly into the distance, I need it to be like 8000 pixels by 8000 pixels, with a circular matte fading the "horizon". At first I just used a solid color matte at 1000% size. But I want it to be a pavement texture in order to create a sense of movement. The pavement has to be sharp enough and so when the camera is right down there at floor level, the ground still looks sharp.

So what's my best option to take a small pavement texture and use it to fill a giant layer? I assume it's CC Tiler? Won't I run into image buffer problems with such a large pre-comp? Just wanted to check with the experts and see if there is a better solution I'm overlooking. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 4:50:38 pm

Eventually you will run into a limitation of the layer. My suggestion is to use a large precomp with a round feathered mask and animate a texture inside of it to move as the car moves.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Matthew BelinkieRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 4:57:34 pm

I can't just animate the texture because the whole point is to see the car moving OVER the texture. The texture gives the car a sense of scale and speed. If the texture is parented to the car's motion, then the car looks like it's standing still. Maybe what I need is a 2000x2000 layer, and duplicate it 16 times to make an 8000x8000 grid. Will AE like that better than one giant layer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:13:24 pm

You wouldn't parent for the forward movement. You would animate the forward movement of the ground/road/whatever texture separately.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:27:57 pm

Can you explain a little more? If you're talking about leaving the car stationary and moving the ground to create the illusion of forward motion, I don't see how that helps. The ground still has to move as much as the car would, so the layer has to be just as big.

Maybe what I can do is make the ground a medium size layer at 500%, but then put smaller patches of high res ground texture on top of that wherever the camera is going to stop. So just in the spots where the camera isn't moving, you get the full res texture?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:50:32 pm

I guess we don't have a clear enough description of what the viewer is seeing to offer better quality advice on technique.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:56:28 pm

Here's a short clip of what I'm working on:

The car is zipping around a track which is almost 4000 pixels wide. I want to make the ground seem like pavement, not just a smooth plane. Maybe I could get away with a 4000x4000 texture layer for the ground, with a larger layer underneath with NO texture that gives the effect of it stretching endlessly to the horizon? But even a 4000x4000 image will make my computer sad.

Return to posts index

Matt CallacRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:19:31 pm

digital juice has nice collections of repeating patterns. Or there are online resources with free ones such as cgtextures.com. We've done well in the past using tileable textures and the CC RepeTile effect to create ground layers.

you're still gonna have some limitations based on the size the layer can extend.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Need very large but detailed layer for ground
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:13:32 pm

[Matthew Belinkie] "Can you explain a little more? If you're talking about leaving the car stationary and moving the ground to create the illusion of forward motion, I don't see how that helps. The ground still has to move as much as the car would, so the layer has to be just as big."

Not if you make the road texture seamless. (Take the image into Photoshop, apply the Offset filter, select an area around the seam and use Content-Aware Fill plus whatever cloning/painting is necessary to cover it.)

Then instead of animating position, you can apply and animate the Offset effect to create the illusion of infinite forward motion with a finitely-sized layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]