ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyScript for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:48:25 pm

I have this piece of footage that I'm using 60 times across many compositions. For my final render I need to turn each layer where it;s used into a guide layer, does anyone know of a script that will let me do that by selecting the footage in the project panel instead of having to go comp by comp?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:20:50 pm

I don't know of a script off-hand, but I'd just cheat. Maybe create a totally transparent PNG or PSD file, and then use the replace footage command? Don't forget to "Save As" or "Save Incremental" before proceeding...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:38:50 am

Excellent solution Walter. The only thing I'd do different is to use an empty Comp instead of the PSD/PNG.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:07:33 pm

Thanks guys, both solutions work great as final steps, but knowing the clients, I still need to go back and forth and tweak the animations using the original layer as reference, so I guess I will have to re-replace it again each time, it still beats doing it manually, nonetheless.

Thanks for the idea, it's a good one.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:13:37 pm

[David Cabestany] ", I still need to go back and forth and tweak the animations using the original layer as reference, so I guess I will have to re-replace it again each time, it still beats doing it manually, nonetheless."

You could use a transparent image as proxy so you could toggle it on or off, or like Roland suggested, you could right-click the footage item in the project panel, and choose "Replace with Precomp." Then you can open up that new precomp and enable/disable visibility of the footage layer inside to globally affect all instances.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Script for turning layers to guide layers directly from the project panel
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:18:06 pm

I think Roland's solution works better, having a proxy is good only if that's the only one on your project, if you have more then you have to turn them off for final render, as far as I know you can't leave some proxies on and some off in one project.

But again, this was very helpful, I really appreciate that you guys took the time to look into it.
Best,
D.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:40:41 pm

[David Cabestany] "I think Roland's solution works better"

I think so, too.

[David Cabestany] "having a proxy is good only if that's the only one on your project, if you have more then you have to turn them off for final render, as far as I know you can't leave some proxies on and some off in one project."

In the render queue, open Render Settings and set Proxy Use to "Current Settings."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]