ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Align to center of another layer without moving that layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig RickerAlign to center of another layer without moving that layer
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:23:41 am

Is there a way to align a second layer, to the center of another layer, but without moving that layer. I find when I select 2 layers and say align center, they both move positions within the comp. I jsut want the first layer to snap to the 2nd layers center.

I must have overlooked needing this for some time now...

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Align to center of another layer without moving that layer
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:16:17 am

Providing you haven't added any keyframes, you can use the pan behind tool (shortcut (y), I believe) to move the anchor point of the second layer to the first layers center.
Or, if keyframes have been used, you can create a null, place the null in the same position as the master layer, and parent the 2nd layer to it. From there, just use the null to animate the position, anchor and scale of the first layer.

Hope this helps

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Align to center of another layer without moving that layer
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:50:41 pm

If you hold Shift while parenting the second layer (the one you want to move) to the first layer (the one you want to stay still), the child will move to the location of the parent. You can then un-parent it and it will retain this position.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Align to center of another layer without moving that layer
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:55:09 pm

If you have CS6/CC, you can SHIFT+Parent to move the second layer towards the center of the first layer. This assumes that the Anchor Point of the second layer is at its center.

Alternatively, you use Snap feature in CS6/CC to move the first layer to the second layer's center.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]