ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trapcode particular - Flat ribbon look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hew
Trapcode particular - Flat ribbon look
on Oct 15, 2013 at 2:57:48 am

Trying to achieve a flat kind of ribbon design, where in which the particles need to achieve a kind of flying ribbon, that will spin around objects (roto) and eventually form into the smaller accents of a final logo.

So far, I've managed to achieve somewhat what the client wants, but trying to finesse this idea further has been harder than I imagined. Originally I used 3D stroke, which achieved a very similar effect, but, eventually the client wanted the stroke to look more like a "ribbon".

I couldn't find a way to animate a flat ribbon look with 3D stroke, which had a nicer tail effect, so the natural progression was Particular, in which I created a small custom sprite, and duplicated it a bunch of times to create the effect seen here. But as you can see I have a few problems. The first being it begins to break in the corners. You can see small jagged edges and it loses it "smoothness" as a result. And, the client will see these and complain. I gotta clean it up somehow, but I have no clue what has to be done to do so.ul.

Basically, this is the look I've achieved and the one we're happy with:

But, there's jagged edges on the turns, and when I shrink down the size of the ribbon, it begins to create jagged steps. I'm aware however this is most likely due to the fact I'm shrinking it down so fast via the size and life, so the amount of particles drops down, resulting in this stepped effect. You can see the tail has a smaller version of the particle, because the life is shorter.

Video is taking forever to get through moderation, so here's a vimeo link instead.

https://vimeo.com/76923996

The main reason I have used TC particular, is with the idea I can easily replicate a path and look a few times. This will basically make up an endtag that will change according to the footage used.

If someone has a solution, it would help greatly, either by, adjusting TC particular settings (which I have done a lot, with little, to no results) and/or a different plugin I can use within AE to create the effect desired here.

Much thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Trapcode particular - Flat ribbon look
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:37:24 am

Zaxwerks 3D Serpentine:
http://zaxwerks.com/3dserpentine/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Phil Hew
on Oct 15, 2013 at 7:46:24 am

It's freakin close to what I want man... But I can't find an option or find a way (other than having the path come at camera) to taper the back of the tail, which is something the client seems set on.

ARGH! But this would've solved a lot of problems! Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:52:16 pm

I don't have time to play with it right now but I'm pretty sure you can taper the end
This guy can help though:
http://my.creativecow.net/Edward-Wu

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Phil Hew
on Oct 16, 2013 at 1:26:26 am

It kind of does, but doesn't. At least, not in a nice way like, say, Trapcode's 3D stroke.

The only way to achieve this is to make a reeeeeaaaaaallly long custom tail end. Serpentine only allows you to attach custom caps on the head and tail, and customise the body (twist among other things). But if I wanted to shrink that tail in length, over an a period of time, it won't do it.

I played around with it for a day and I couldn't achieve the same results sadly. Almost but no cigar for me I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]