ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Font management query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettFont management query
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:54:29 pm

-- font folder getting very full and its taking ages to try out different fonts by changing the layer selection...

.......any body know if there is a font manager that can be used from within Ae or if there is a way of organising the system fonts folder so that ( say ) the 'fun' fonts are in their own folder and seperate from the 'corporate' fonts.

--- any ideas on this would be much appreciated.

Chris Brett

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Font management query
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:49:22 pm

Chris -

You don't say whether you're on a Mac or PC, so I'm going to work from my experience (PC). I personally don't use a font manager, and have upwards of 1500 fonts on my system. I use Windows Character Map - a free utility which comes with Windows, and allows me to view the typefaces, and cut and paste them into AE, once I have a blank type layer. Works great for the occasional © needed when I don't remember the ASCII code for it (ALT-0169).

There's a script which allows you to view fonts within AE - looks pretty useful - I may pick it up:

Then, to your real question - font management. There's nothing within AE to help with that, nor do I see any third-party scripts for font management. Nexus Font is a freebie for Windows, and allows for all sorts of management (I just downloaded it - looks useful):

NexusFont allows you to achieve the type of folder-based font management you asked about. It also removes duplicates, even if they're not the same filename - pretty useful.

There do not appear to be any freebies on the Mac side, but here's a good discussion of the options:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Font management query
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:34:44 pm

Hi Joe

-- many thanks for your very informative and speedy reply which is much appreciated ---

-- script looks very useful and expect I will buy but still looks as if you have to scroll the whole list ....phewwwwwwwwwwww.............

--- use Nexus font already thanks -- its very good I think.

Best regards -------------- chris brett---------------------

Return to posts index

Matt CallacRe: Font management query
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:01:10 pm

We use font explorer to manage our thousands of fonts.
you can easily activate the fonts you need and leave the majority deactivated while you aren't using them.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:52:00 am

thanks Matty -- will check it out -- ( its already downloaded ) -- all the best -----chris

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:42:21 pm

Hi Chaps

-- feel compelled to mail feedback as results were so good -

- took a while to figure it all out fully and went for Nexus on my desktop combined with Font List in AE ---- excellent result which saves so much time....

....... Nexus makes it easy to sort all fonts on desktop and then its just a matter of activating ones to use when comping though when I tested Font List with ALL my fonts activated it was no trouble to use at all........ many thanks again.

Best regards

Chris Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved