ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Avid to After Effects VFX workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Adamson
Avid to After Effects VFX workflow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:43:01 am

Hi,

I've currently spent the past week trying to figure out a VFX workflow between Avid Symphony and After Effects for a student web series that I'm working on. This is not because I don't know what I'm doing, rather it's because things that should be working, aren't working.

Basically my workflow has been to export an AAF of the sequence from Avid, no audio, and video consolidated in a folder within the same folder as the AAF. I then 'Pro Import After Effects' and everything loads as it should. I organise my project such that my other VFX artists see only the VFX shots and that they are colour-coded appropriately.

This is where things go wrong. If I close the project, after effects will not reopen the project and will freeze (though I have a feeling this has something to do with my university's computers). Being that I want to work off my own computer, which is a macintosh, I copy the folder with the project, the AAF and the files onto my own hard drive.

I open up the project on my own computer and I get an error for every video file stating: "After Effects error: file '...' cannot be imported - this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported". The AAF is using quicktime references referencing .mxf files.

The odd thing is, I tried to import the AAF again into my copy of after effects, rather than using the project I saved on the university computer. This worked out correctly and all the footage loaded. Then I closed and reopened this new project and I got the same error as if I was opening the copy saved on my university error.

I tried importing the AAF into a new project and this time it doesn't work - it yields the same error as all the other projects.

This is what I don't understand, this workflow is straightforward and should work but it doesn't. Not only that, but it decides to work sometimes, but not others. I've never know After Effects to be this inconsistent and temperamental.

We are already behind on our VFX and I'm absolutely stumped on why I'm having these problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Avid to After Effects VFX workflow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:37:06 pm

It's really tough to say. We don't know enough about your system.

This FAQ entry on the Adobe web site helps us help you:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:04:19 pm

I'm not 100% sure what my university computers are, but I know they run After Effects CS6 and Avid Symphony (5 or 6) with 6 GB of RAM on Windows 7.

My system however is:

Macbook Pro early 2013 15-inch Retina Display
2.7GHz Intel i7 Quad Core
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB (CUDA installed)
512GB Flash Memory

I run Adobe After Effects version 11.0.2.11 on Mac OSX 10.8.5
Quicktime 10.2
Third Party Plugins:
Particular
Twitch
Plexus
AE Flame
Move Anchor Point
Magic Bullet Looks
Knoll Light Factory

That's most of what I didn't already cover in the first post. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:47:05 pm

I wonder if it might not be the alphanumeric characters used in the file path: the folders, file names, etc. If you go between windows and Mac, such things could be probematic.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:23:53 am

I recall having a few issues a few years ago, and if memory serves me right...(it has been a few years), it had something to do with the mxf files Avid creates... the way it labels the mxf files and how that translates to the Mac. It's been a long time, but I recall something about numbers or symbols added that one system sees and the other doesn't... It might of been Avid uses the # symbol when creating on the Windows machine, but that doesn't get carried over to the Mac, causing it to hang... This is why I stopped using Avid originally. It was just problematic with the conversions...

Sorry if I wasn't much of a help...

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Oct 19, 2013 at 3:42:25 am

Woops!

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been so busy I forgot about the thread! So it's an inter-OS issue is it? Honestly, I wouldn't be using Avid either if my university gave me the choice; I find its usefulness quickly turns to frustration as soon as any other program is involved.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]