ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Embedding the Numbers text effect in another line of text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dyson
Embedding the Numbers text effect in another line of text?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 1:30:03 pm

I want to have a line of text, such as "We are NNN strong!" where the NNN will be using the Numbers effect to count up from one value to another. It doesn't appear possible to apply the effect just to some text on a text layer, so I then experimented with making the counting numbers their own layer positioned in a gap in the main text.

The problem there is the Numbers effect has an absolute position attribute, and I want it parented to the original text so I can animate the entire line of text moving around as a single entity. Is there a way to link them together so I can move them as I desire? If not, can anyone suggest a good workaround?

Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Dyson
Re: Embedding the Numbers text effect in another line of text?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 2:18:17 pm

I've managed to kludge together a workaround for now but I expect there's a more elegant way. I pick whipped the position attribute of the Numbers effect to the position of the parent text line. That made the numbers jump to the anchor point and then I manually added an offset in the expression to shift it over to the gap in the text line where I wanted it to appear.

thisComp.layer("We are").transform.position+[280,-25]

Still interested in better solutions if there are any. Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Dyson
Re: Embedding the Numbers text effect in another line of text? (Added note)
on Oct 13, 2013 at 2:48:29 pm

Just in case I wasn't clear in the original question: simply parenting the layer containing the Numbers effect to the main text layer does not work. The Numbers effect has an absolute position attribute which appears to override the layer's position. So far as I can tell, any solution has to involve redefining the effect position directly and not the layer's position, unless there's some sort of override or switch I don't know of.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Oct 13, 2013 at 3:45:11 pm

Would this work?

Text value is expressed as a slider value. Layers are parented so they move together.

6631_numanim.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Mark Dyson
on Oct 13, 2013 at 3:59:06 pm

Nice! Takes the Numbers effect completely out of the picture. Works a treat, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]