ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need a codec with alpha support+HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eran SolomonNeed a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:05:41 am

Hey everyone,

I have a certain system that can only accept files under 10mb, I have a 10 second clip with alpha, on HD resolution (1920x500), its a lower third.

Anyone have any ideas on this? with "Animation" quicktime preset i get a file which is over 150mb.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:32:44 am

Can that "certain system" assign alpha to a clip from a matte render (black & white)? It sounds like it should based on the 10mb limitation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:44:15 pm

What is the system? What codecs does it support?

Speaking generally, some codecs which support HD and alpha include QuickTime PNG, DNxHD, and ProRes 4444.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:58:53 pm

I have to tell you, 1920x500 is a very odd screen resolution. If you can tell us about this mystery system and precisely what you're doing with it, we can offer up better advice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eran SolomonRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 7:17:13 am

Thanks for the reply everyone.

i don't have specific info on the system since its used in a different facility all together.
what I can tell you is that its a lower third, animated. so its wide (1080) but only 500px high (including the upper transparent part)

What i do know is that the files that are imported into the system should not be more than 10mb.
no matter what codec i tried - i only get it out at around 150mb.

Is this even possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:46:06 pm

Okay, well, the people at "this facility" don't have a clue about the file size it takes to render out an animated lowe-third with an alpha channel. If they're limiting you to such a small file size, these guys have no concept a about what they're doing... ESPECIALLY if they reject Ted's perfectly valid alternate to render out a matte to create the transparency.

Alpha-channeled video simply does not exist in the file size they demand.

And did they REALLY tell you to make an animated lower-third at 1920x500? That's just about the screwiest thing I ever heard of. If it isn't 1920x1080, they're just making more work for themselves.

If they're trying to palm themselves off as a legit production facility, my advice is to run very fast in the opposite direction. That way, you're well out of the way when they crash & burn.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hope HolmesbyRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:48:07 pm

hi guys, thanks for all your help always

...just wondering...

if you have a flame movie w a black bkg. can you render it w rgb+alpha and get a movie w the black bgk of the movie changed to alpha?
or
do you have to apply an unmult or screen to the layer then render it rgb+alpha , with the comp bkg blk, to actually get alpha?

thanks so much.

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.6.8, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Juan ManuelRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:19:34 pm

JPEG2000 might do it, but the file size restriction is odd. Trying to get it under 10 MB might sacrifice too much quality.

Return to posts index

Hope HolmesbyRe: Need a codec with alpha support+HD
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 11:13:46 pm

hi...just tested the:
png, jpg 2000 and apple prores 4444

the jpg is the smallest file, almost 5 times...
2MB vs 8.9MB

the prores warned that colors would be reduced.
the jpg did not, however since it is a smaller file, probably did reduce the colors, but it is not showing.

however, in the new mavericks OS for mac, if you use jpg2000 or png, you will not get a video preview, nor w an animation codec.

only the apple prores 4444 allows that, until someone comes up w a fix for that.

very sad...

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.6.8, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]