ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

wave world-caustics can't get it to work right

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Endreswave world-caustics can't get it to work right
by on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:51:49 pm

I'm trying to make a displacement map to simulate if a person did a fall into a pool. Trying to get those radial ripples extending from the point of impact.

At about 10 seconds in this video (the waterslide landing) this is where I'm trying to add the effect.

All the tutorials I have seen with using the waveworld and caustics filters always show like a flat front view, which wont work for my project.

Here are my steps that are failing when trying to use the caustics filter

1) I have just the water cut out on a layer with transparancy.

2) add a solid, precompose(move into own compostion), add waveworld effect to get the ripples.
so now I have this 2d flat image that has ripples extending out from the middle. I then check 3d box and rotate on x and try to line up with pool from the video.

3) I go into main compostion and add the caustics effect to the pool water layer. But I immediately get this bluish overlay and while the solid does show in a 3d perspective... the actual puddles are just flat front view ripples. It's like the caustics filter doesnt respect transparancy or the fact 3d perspective.

4) Now I did this exact same procedure, but used a displacement map instead of caustic filter. That worked good with transparency and respecting the 3d perspective, but it looks flat as a see the water moving, but there is like no simulated depth, which is why I want to try the caustics filter.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can tell me what I may be doing wrong with regard to getting casutics filter to only effect the cut out water layer (respect transparancy) and respect the 3d position of the solid.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: wave world-caustics can't get it to work right
by on Oct 12, 2013 at 9:15:13 pm

Shot in the dark - could you add the caustics effect to an adjustment layer in your pre-comp over top of the ripples layer?

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

Carl EndresRe: wave world-caustics can't get it to work right
by on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:06:53 pm

Well it can't hurt to try it Eric, thanks for at least taking a stab in the dark on it.

If anyone else has any thoughts or wild ass guesses even, I'd sure appreciate it....

I just don't understand why the effect is not respecting transparancy or the 3d rotation problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved