ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion blur moving the position of a layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
G. Scott ScribnerMotion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:07:24 pm

I've noticed in CS6 when enabling motion blur the position of the layer moves. The anchor point actually moves in 3d space. As I remember, in older versions, the layer would not move when enabling mb and a mask outline was exactly the same with mb on or off. With a layer selected and turned off (viewing the mask only,) toggling mb now moves the mask. This happens on a static 3d layer viewed by a 3d camera. I can prevent this by setting the shutter phase to 0ยบ, but then my mb isn't centered. Am I hallucinating? Now I have to have mb active any time I roto or I can't see exactly what's going on.
Anyone else seeing this?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 12, 2013 at 5:24:26 am

Shutter Phase should almost always be -1/2 of Shutter Angle when doing inserts in conjunction with matchmoving. The formula ensures that AE's MB is centered to the movement which is what is the norm for realworld cameras.

Rotoscoping MB objects should require analogous Shutter Phase/Shutter Angle settings.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

G. Scott ScribnerRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 12, 2013 at 7:01:28 pm

I'm not talking about the mb settings. What I'm saying is the physical location of the static layer in 3d space changes on screen when mb is activated. In my opinion this adds a variability to the comp that I don't need. The anchor point of the layer jumps back and forth several pixels when toggling mb. In my opinion the anchor point should not move at all.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 12, 2013 at 9:11:03 pm

I tried to recreate your problem in CS6 but didn't see any movement of the layer, mask or anchor point when toggling motion blur.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:48:13 pm

Make a solid, 3d, make camera, set y rot keyframes on the camera panning across the solid. Now toggle mb for the comp on and off. You'll see the layer's anchor point and mask (if you want to make one,) jumping back and forth. Mb for the 3d layer doesn't even have to be on.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:18:03 pm

Yep, I see it now. Unfortunately I can't explain it but it seems like a bug to me. Maybe someone else will have some insight.

Here's where to file a bug report:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:33:25 pm

Yes, so because the layer is actually moved, I have to roto with mb on and hope it renders as I see it on screen. Previously I'd roto with mb off and render with it on and everything was fine. Now I just don't trust it.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on Oct 25, 2013 at 9:18:38 pm

[G. Scott Scribner] "Yes, so because the layer is actually moved, I have to roto with mb on and hope it renders as I see it on screen. Previously I'd roto with mb off and render with it on and everything was fine. Now I just don't trust it."

If you roto with the composition's motion blur switch off (leave the layer switches as they are) then there shouldn't be any problem.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Nathan ThompsonRe: Motion blur moving the position of a layer?
by on May 2, 2014 at 7:11:00 pm

I was having the same issue as the original poster, with motion blur moving the position of a mask I created and the tip below solved my problem entirely:

"by Roland R. Kahlenberg on Oct 12, 2013 at 12:24:26 am

Shutter Phase should almost always be -1/2 of Shutter Angle when doing inserts in conjunction with matchmoving. The formula ensures that AE's MB is centered to the movement which is what is the norm for realworld cameras.

Rotoscoping MB objects should require analogous Shutter Phase/Shutter Angle settings."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]