ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Flickers During a Simple Diagonal Pan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack lykinsText Flickers During a Simple Diagonal Pan
by on Oct 11, 2013 at 8:55:32 pm

I'm working on a very basic shot with a large image moving through the frame from the top right to the bottom left. To be clear, the image fills the frame at all times - it's more like a faked camera move through the image diagonally up and to the right. Easy, right?

Anyway, the image is a map full of text. As the image moves the text flickers noticeably and becomes difficult to read. The text is small, approximately 50px. Any ideas how to fix this flicker?

I've tried a bunch of techniques, including the Reduce Interlace Flicker effect, which did almost nothing, but seems to be on the right track. I also tried to get Twixtor to interpolate some frames and smooth things out but that didn't work either. Pushing in on the image and slowing down the pan seems to help, but it's not appropriate for this particular shot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the deadline is creeping up on me. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Text Flickers During a Simple Diagonal Pan
by on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:35:31 pm

"Flicker" can be a nebulous term. For example, I think of a candle in a light breeze when I think of flickering. That's probably not what you're experiencing, so a description of what you're seeing will help.

What kind of "large image" is this? A really big photographic image shot on a till camera? An Illustrator file? Something from Photoshop? It'll help track down the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jack lykinsRe: Text Flickers During a Simple Diagonal Pan
by on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:46:43 pm

Hi Dave - thanks for the response.

To start with, the image is a .jpeg at 7275x5475. The composition is 1920x1080 at 23.976 fps.

The best way I can explain the 'flicker' is that the edges of the text seem a bit wobbly as they move through the frame, and the thickness of the lines appear to fluctuate. When I push in I can see that nothing is actually happening, rather, it's an annoying illusion.

Raising the frame rate seems to help, but the client is working at 23.976, so I'm somewhat stuck.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Text Flickers During a Simple Diagonal Pan
by on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:38:41 pm

See this regarding avoiding judder with horizontal movement:

See this regarding avoiding twitter with vertical movement of fine details in interlaced output:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved