ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

new build GPU question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Weigel
new build GPU question
on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:48:45 pm

My 4930k CPU in the mail and I was set on ordering a GTX780 (384bit, 3GB memory, 2304 cuda) but see newegg has on sale the 760 (256bit, 4GB memory, but like only 1200 some cuda cores).

Most important to me is timeline real time preview. Whatever can get me real time viewing with the 4930k cpu I'd like.

I work in Premier CS6 and AE6.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: new build GPU question
on Oct 10, 2013 at 7:29:17 pm

They are both great cards and will do a good job for Premiere real time preview. The 780 will be better since it has more CUDA cores and a faster 384bit interface, but the 760 will do as well.
As far as AE goes, there's no real time preview, only faster rendering.

Here's a good resource:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:00:32 pm

Thanks Ted.
I currently have a 560Ti and used that link to get cuda working.

I forgot to mention I was thinking of getting two of those 760's instead of one 780.
I guess my thought was that I read somewhere that Premier can only use one card but AE can speed up rendering using two cards or more.
Is this correct?

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:11:15 pm

As a note, I also plan to get 32gigs of 2400 ram and either the new Asus x79 Deluxe MB (gold colored one) or X79 Dark.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:38:48 pm

[Scott Weigel] "I guess my thought was that I read somewhere that Premier can only use one card but AE can speed up rendering using two cards or more. "

Premiere Pro CS6 could use only one card, but Premiere Pro CC can use multiple GPUs.

Ae can also use multiple GPUs, but this acceleration only applies to the new ray-tracing renderer. It will not speed up the Classic 3D renderer or most effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:48:53 pm

If Premiere can only use one gpu's Cuda cores at a time then I'd get the gtx780, but if it can use two then the two 760's with 4GB's each would be way more (4x2 vs 3 the 780 has).
I guess it's a matter of bandwidth... which setup works best for the application. This is what I'm trying to get a a handle on before buying.
Like I said, timeline viewings is most important. Rendering the final clip isn't important because its done once vs the countless changes made in the making

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:56:32 pm

[Scott Weigel] "If Premiere can only use one gpu's Cuda cores at a time then I'd get the gtx780, but if it can use two then the two 760's with 4GB's each would be way more (4x2 vs 3 the 780 has)."

Like I said above, which version we are talking about is important. Pr CS6 will only use one GPU; Pr CC will use multiple GPUs.

That said, once something is real-time, it's real-time and more horsepower won't matter. What exactly do you intend to do in Premiere? You might be just fine with a single 760, knowing you can always add another later if you need to.

There are a lot of misunderstandings about what specifically the GPU accelerates in Premiere. Todd Kopriva has a couple great blog posts that explain the Mercury Playback Engine (it's not just about your GPU!) and what the GPU does accelerate:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/04/adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-5-improve...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2012/05/opencl-and-premiere-pro-cs6.html

It's also important to understand what the GPU does not accelerate. The GPU will not help your computer read footage from disk or decode compressed footage any faster.

Forget about real-time in Ae altogether.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:06:50 pm

I have CS6 nonCC master suite.
Just doing cc,titling etc. In AE nested comps with effects etc.
So it's best to get the 780? The 760 has 4gigs of memory vs 3 but only 256bit vs 384.

The 760 is only $290 and the 780 $660

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:13:56 pm

Yes the 780GTX would be the better card with this system especially if you will be clocking the chip beyond stock.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:41:56 pm

I watercool so yes, definitely OC to 4.5 or so. Will get ddr3 2400 32g and ssd's plus ramdisc? And dedicated cache. Just need to figure it all out and choose the MB

Return to posts index

Scott Weigel
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:58:24 pm

Well, my new GTX780 and ASUS X79 Deluxe 2012 mb are in the mail.
Should be a good build. My last video editing build was over 5yrs ago with the q9550

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]