ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilizing footage from a 35mm scan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaur KaskStabilizing footage from a 35mm scan
by on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:36:06 pm

I have this scanned footage, 24p 2084x2084, now as a prores4444 file, a 16minute reel. The footage is rather shaky because of the scanning process, the whole picture oscillates up/down. Using the warp stabilizer in AE gave a good result when used on a 4 second clip from this footage, which was a single scene. As i've understood, the warp stabilizer will not work on multiple scenes in a sequence, similarly to tracking, which needs a single moving object to track, which is not possible when the scenes change. Another problem with warp stabilizing the whole 16 minutes is AE performance. The analyze process crashes AE when applied on bigger files. I have adjusted the cache size and allocated the cache folder to a drive with 1tb of free space, yet to no avail. It seems that the analyze process fills up RAM as well and results with "Application memory full" error, at which point the system is non-responsive. (I'm on OSX, ML)
Is there a way to batch process individual scenes with the warp stabilizer? Or is there a good solution for stabilizing such 35mm captured footage? There is definitely the manual process of assigning objects in each scene, yet as there are many more reels coming in, it would be good to use a more convenient method. e.g batch warp stabilizing scenes.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Stabilizing footage from a 35mm scan
by on Oct 10, 2013 at 9:43:07 pm

Use Magnum the Edit Detector to chop the movie into individual shots. Stabilize those individual clips.

The After Effects CC (12.1) update, which is due out this month, will do a much better job at processing multiple clips with greater speed and less strain on resources:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kaur KaskRe: Stabilizing footage from a 35mm scan
by on Oct 14, 2013 at 1:08:40 pm

Thank you for the reply. Magnum edit detector works nicely, however i'm still getting quite poor results. Some scenes have been stabilized nicely, yet scenes with more movement cause problems. The shaky footage is quite specific due to the 35mm scan and it would be desirable to only track the edges of the frame, as the whole picutre is moving and there is no need to consider the information inside the frame. Here's an example of the footage: LINK

Return to posts index

Kaur KaskRe: Stabilizing footage from a 35mm scan
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:42:43 am

e: fixed the link

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Stabilizing footage from a 35mm scan
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:02:45 pm

Give the new update a try:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]