ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

color subsampling and final codec options

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karol Przetakiewiczcolor subsampling and final codec options
by on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:43:43 pm

Hi!

This is my first topic on creativecow and I hope to get help here :)

I have a small project to make and I got some specific requirements for it. Here they are:
Propotions: 16:9 PAL
Resolution: HD 1920x1080i50
Coding: DVCPRO HD 1080i50 1440x1080 4:2:2
Final file: QuickTime (MOV)

My first question - where do I set color subsampling? I will have the movie clips for this project made with my Sony NEX-5N camera.
What pixel aspect ratio should I set? When I choose "DVCPRO HD 1080 25" preset for the composition I get automatically "HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1,33)" in PAR. Shall I leave it like this?
And finally, when I finish my project, I will choose "QuickTime" codec in Render Queue. In advanced options should I choose "DVCPRO HD 1080i50" or "Uncompressed YUV 8 bit 4:2:2"?

Best regards

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: color subsampling and final codec options
by on Oct 9, 2013 at 7:48:43 pm

[Karol Przetakiewicz] "My first question - where do I set color subsampling?"

You don't -- this is handled by the codec. DVCPRO HD is always 4:2:2.

[Karol Przetakiewicz] "What pixel aspect ratio should I set? When I choose "DVCPRO HD 1080 25" preset for the composition I get automatically "HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1,33)" in PAR. Shall I leave it like this?"

You can work with the DVCPRO HD 1080 25 preset from the beginning. Its PAR is correct as-is.

Alternately, you could work at 1920x1080 with square pixels, and convert to 1440x1080 with non-square pixels on output.

To briefly explain, DVCPRO HD saves bandwidth by squeezing the image horizontally and only storing 1440x1080 pixels instead of the full 1920x1080. To make a regular 16:9 image, the pixels must be stretched back out -- that is, treated as if they were wider than they are tall. The pixel aspect ratio or PAR describes how wide they should be compared to how tall they are. 1440 * 1.3333 = 1920.

[Karol Przetakiewicz] "And finally, when I finish my project, I will choose "QuickTime" codec in Render Queue. In advanced options should I choose "DVCPRO HD 1080i50" or "Uncompressed YUV 8 bit 4:2:2"?"

If you are expected to deliver DVCPRO HD 1080i50, that's what you should choose.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Karol PrzetakiewiczRe: color subsampling and final codec options
by on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:29:41 am

Thank you so much for your reply! Now I can easily start working on my project :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]