ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing AE/Element 3d camera's vanishing point for forced perspective

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Woods
Changing AE/Element 3d camera's vanishing point for forced perspective
on Oct 8, 2013 at 3:26:53 pm

Hi folks, I am working on a tromp l'oeil style animation with a forced perspective that is meant to be viewed from below similar to this video clip from grand central station.

My problem is that the perspective vanishing point in a 3d after effects composition is always in the center of the composition. I am currently getting around that by making my composition 3 times as tall as needed, and only using the top third of it.

This was working fine, until I tried rendering at full resolution. I am using element 3d and my graphics card chokes on a full resolution element comp that is 1920x3240. Since I am currently discarding 2/3rds of this composition, I was hoping there was a way to either change the vanishing point, or render only the top third of my composition.

I've tried a 1920x1080 precomp, but it is still crashing. I believe AE renders the entire frame of a pre-comp even if only a section is visible. I've tried applying element to a solid that isn't full screen, but the element plug in seems to assume it is applied to a full screen solid with no transformations.

Any suggestions?

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing AE/Element 3d camera's vanishing point for forced perspective
on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:33:21 pm

That link is to a video created in a true 3D application and not After Effects. Are you using the wrong software for the job, perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:45:34 pm

[Matthew Woods] "Since I am currently discarding 2/3rds of this composition, I was hoping there was a way to either change the vanishing point, or render only the top third of my composition."

I can't think of a way to change the vanishing point, but using the Region Of Interest [link] should allow you to render only the top third of your comp.

I'm not sure if that will work for Element, though -- it may need to render the entire scene.

How much VRAM do you have on your GPU? How much are you using? Is it possible to lower the amount of VRAM you're using in your Element scene?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:13:51 pm

Thanks for the ROI tip Walter. When did they add that feature? Very handy.

Anyway, it apparently does work with Element, and it allows me to ram preview the area at full resolution! Unfortunately, when it comes to rendering from the render queue the option to render just the ROI area is under output module's "Crop to ROI" where it apparently tries to render the full frame first then crop it. (this causes a crash)

I found a tip on VideoCopilot's element forums that when working with large element layers to drop multisampling down to 2 (from default 8) and increase supersampling to compensate. This seems to work allowing me to render a full frame and hasn't sacrificed much in visual quality with the imagery I'm using.

Using ROI is speeding up my previews though. Thanks for calling my attention to this handy feature.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:36:36 pm

> Thanks for the ROI tip Walter. When did they add that feature?

2001, After Effects 5.0.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]