ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with Write-On Effect and Rasterization of Text Flying in 3D Space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsProblem with Write-On Effect and Rasterization of Text Flying in 3D Space
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:55:14 pm

Hi,

I have a problem that's driving me nuts. I'm relatively inexperienced with After Effects-hopefully someone has the answer to this.

I have illustrator files of text that I want to appear using the write-on effect. I also want the text to fly through 3D space, writing on while it's doing so.

I can continually rasterize the illustrator vector text, so that it looks crisp in 3D, but don't know how to apply the write-on effect to it. I can do so before I animate it in 3D, but then once I animate it, the write on is not accurate - it's in the wrong pace.

My thought was to pre-comp the text and apply the write on effect within the pro comp, before animating in 3D space, but then I get ugly rasterisation. If I click the "continually rasterize" button on the pro-comp, the size of the text shrinks down.

I am at a complete loss as to how to properly do this combination of write-on effect and correctly rasterising text flying around in 3D space. Anyone know how to do this?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem with Write-On Effect and Rasterization of Text Flying in 3D Space
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:12:11 pm

I recommend using a very large 2D nested comp, perhaps 500% scale of the Illustrator layer(s) in question. Scale up the illustrator layer to fit in it. You can then use Write-on on a solid above the Illustrator as a track matte to reveal it. The reason for the large scale: Write-on is a bitmap effect.
Turn on the continuously rasterize switch in the main comp, and the text will remain sharp. Depending on the scaling going on as the camera flies through it, the edges of the Write-on that revbeal the text shouldn't get too jagged.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Problem with Write-On Effect and Rasterization of Text Flying in 3D Space
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22:46 pm

Thanks, Dave. You're a genius. That worked. I was totally going insane trying to figure out how to deal with that.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem with Write-On Effect and Rasterization of Text Flying in 3D Space
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:08:39 pm

Glad to help!

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]