ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a Text 'Surfacing' effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Kornstein
Creating a Text 'Surfacing' effect
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:00:16 pm

I'm looking to re-create an effect similar to the one in this film's titles (Check 2:27)

The text kind of 'surfaces' onto the screen, as if it was coming from underwater.

I tried combining a simple choker with a transition, but the choker applies all at once as opposed to letter by letter. I would rather not separate the text into individual characters, as I'm going to have to apply this effect quite a few times.

How can I create this sort of choker transition? Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Creating a Text 'Surfacing' effect
on Oct 5, 2013 at 6:38:02 pm

What if you used a thin font, had a fair kern between the letters and animated the stroke of each letter. That should do it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Robert Kornstein
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:12:07 pm

I'm looking for a way to do it without animating each individual letter, as I'm going to be applying the effect to quite a few instances of text. I appreciate the help though.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:26:23 pm

John's talking about using a text animator, not separating the text into individual characters. Check out my project file. If you select the layers and hit UU it will reveal all of the modified properties so you can see how I did it.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:18:00 pm

Check this project file out. I used an animated stroke like John suggested but only as a track matte for the original text layer so you can use any font.

6604_textsurfacing.aep.zip

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Robert Kornstein
on Oct 8, 2013 at 2:46:33 pm

Thanks Eric, your project file was a great base, I just had to add a simple choker to get the look I'm going for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]