ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting rid of bumps in 3D tracking shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve NeavesGetting rid of bumps in 3D tracking shot
by on Oct 4, 2013 at 3:54:52 pm

I Have a tracking shot that has once been smoothed out in Warp Stabilizer - then a second time using stabilize motion. We used a Wally Dolly to create the shot and were at the time aware it wasnt perfect.
The Warp stabilizer & stabilize motion did the trick of smoothing it out - how ever I have since added CGI elements that are tracked to the shot and these have shown up a slight bump in the track (bascially the 3d models bumps up then back on an otherwise straight track) - and the further I push the Z axis out towards the camera they become even more noticeable.
I did play around with the tracks bezier curves - but smoothing these by hand just made it ten times worse - is there away of smoothing out the track?by hand or otherwise? or perhaps a way of dampening it? The shots finished apart from this bump. Any help appreciated - Thanks

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Getting rid of bumps in 3D tracking shot
by on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:36:22 pm

Did you do the 3D track before or after stabilization?

If you did it before stabilization you will need to retrack the stabilized shot.

Or you could comp it all together with the original footage and then re-stabilize the shot with the CG elements already comped.

~ M

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Steve NeavesRe: Getting rid of bumps in 3D tracking shot
by on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:39:32 am

Thanks for swift reply - all the stabilization was carried out before I implemented the CGI - I used elements 3D.

I can’t take the CGI and mix with the original footage as the bumps are on the CGI track.

Heres a link to the shot - you can see the bumps at the beginning.

I just need to be able to smooth the track that the CGI elements are attached to. Thanks Steve

http://vimeo.com/user16540650/review/76149466/047fa44545

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Getting rid of bumps in 3D tracking shot
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:27:24 am

If the Motion Path can be seen in the Comp Panel then you should be able to remove the kinks manually, easily. It's a lot easier than most people think. Give it a shot and you'll be surprised at the ease and the results.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2013 at 8:29:30 am

Thanks Roland - I did do this, I smoothed the path by hand - I could clearly see the bump on the path, but when I flattened it - just made it worse. It made the CGI move around even more. I am assuming I did this incorrectly - but all I did was locate the bump on the track and carefully remove it - I have plenty of experience with bezier paths so I am confident I did this bit correctly - I just cant get my head around why it made it worse?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:25:52 pm

You've likely got some other thingy, other than the Motion Path, that's causing changes to the layer's transforms. You should look at the chain of stabilizers etc that you have. The solution may be to pre-render prior to manually fixing the kinks.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:35:21 am

I thought this too - so I started from scratch. I have intentionally kept it really simple. I did the all the stabilization - then rendered it. So I am now using the pre-rendered track shot - with the CGI on top. But it still picks up this bump. There are no other FX going on - just the CGI track on top of a single piece of footage. Im surprised the camera tracker has no tools to dampen or smooth out paths it creates.I am presuming the bump is caused by a tiny bump in the stabilized footage that is only visible once I had started pushing CGI elements closer to the camera using the Z axis (thus increasing the bumps visibility). I will go back and try to smooth the path again manually. Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

by on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:14:37 pm

AE's Camera Tracker creates KFs for Position and Orientation. Perhaps the issue is with Orientation instead of Position.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]