ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

animate stroke diameter in paint effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yannick poffet
animate stroke diameter in paint effect
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:15:43 pm

hello,
I'm painting over a video layer and wanna be able to change the diameter of the stroke without doing it manually for each one of my "brush stroke".

I did my composition way bigger than needed so I can have them traveling from the back to the front using the scaling property. But would like to visually keep the same diameter on the final composition

why am I not scaling the original footage before painting on top of it and so keeping the same diameter? because I wanna use the compositions several times and being able the change the diameter of all the "brush strokes" would give me more freedom

hope this is clear

thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: animate stroke diameter in paint effect
on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:31:23 pm

I'm not totally sure I understand but would linking the size parameter of all of the paint strokes to an expression slider control on a control layer work? That would give you one control for all the strokes that you could animate.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

yannick poffet
on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:38:40 am

I'm not really good with expressions, but I think that might be a good way to do it! Is there a way to link each stroke diameter to control all at the same time?
the thing is, I have no idea how to do it, any tip??

thank you Erik

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 5, 2013 at 6:50:34 pm

The fastest easiest way I can think of would be this:
- Create a null layer and name it "CONTROLS" or whatever makes sense to you.
- Add an expression slider control to the null layer and rename it "diameter" or something like that.
- In the timeline, twirl open the CONTROLS layer to expose the diameter effects slider control and then do the same to expose one of the paint stroke layers diameter parameter.
- Alt/Option + click on the paint stroke diameter's stopwatch to add an expression and then drag the pickwhip to the CONTROLS layer's slider parameter and then hit Enter.

The paint stroke diameter should now be linked to the diameter slider on the CONTROLS layer with an expression like this:

thisComp.layer("CONTROLS").effect("diameter")("Slider")

If you right-click on the diameter property on the paint stroke layer and go to "copy expression only", you can then paste the expression on to all of the other paint strokes so they're all linked to the CONTROLS layer. You do have to have the brush stroke's selected when you paste or it will just add a new stroke, which is not what you want. You need to select "Brush 1", "Brush 2", etc. or select the diameter property directly and then paste. The quickest way to expose them is to select all of the stroke layers and hit UU to expose all modified properties and then you can Ctrl/Cmd or Shift + click all of the Brushes to select them and then Ctrl/Cmd + V to paste the expression.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

yannick poffet
on Oct 6, 2013 at 6:20:31 am

thank you so much Erik, that's exactly what i was looking for.
I learned something really helpful today!

cheers

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:22:04 pm

You're welcome. I use that sort of setup all the time, it's great for templates and so forth that have bunches of layers and parameters that you want to access easily.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]