ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John A SpillaneHardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 8:02:26 pm

Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?

HP Z220 3.4GHz Xeon E3-1240v2
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD
2GB NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Any advice will be appreciated!
John A Spillane

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 8:38:44 pm

I think the short answer is "yes" for light to medium duty AE use: you have a decent CPU, decent amount of RAM, possible use of the SSD for GPC (Global Performance Cache). One thing that's missing is a media volume: what do you plan to use as source files storage - the SSD?

The longer answer depends on how you plan to use After Effects, and your expectations of performance., i.e. the complexity of your compositions, file formats and resolutions, effects and plugins, how long you're willing to wait for things to render, and how important are smooth previews (which depend on all of the above).

Return to posts index

John A SpillaneRe: Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 9:16:34 pm

Alex,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm considering an HP Z220 for at-home use because I need a workstation to learn AfterEffects. So this would not be mission-critical projects. I'd need to add at least one more drive, as you say and more RAM would probably help, right? The bottom line: as long as this box can run most AfterEffects functions and I can get some experience with the software, I willing to forego 3D or 4K.

Does that make sense? Thanks! John

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:44:32 pm

Yes, totally makes sense.

Personally, I'd hold off adding more RAM until you get a better hang of where the potential bottlenecks are in the system, after using it for a bit. With light AE use, you may be OK with 16GB for a while.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Hardware question: is this computer ready to run AfterEffects?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:28:02 am

I agree with Alex.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]