ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smoke towards the camera: this might be a very hard shot...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiSmoke towards the camera: this might be a very hard shot...
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 7:56:30 am

I've been asked to work on this shot, but the director asked something that I found quite challening..

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/webseries-shot

As you can see, the actor walks while the camera follows him. What I should do is to fill the bottom of the floor with smoke or "mist" that is filling the room. This also seems to mean that, of course, the smoke would go towards the camera.

So.. Ok, I'll track the shot and rotoscope the actor but what about the smoke itself? This magic "mist"? Should I search or use some kind of artebat? It seems quite the problem here.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Smoke towards the camera: this might be a very hard shot...
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:59:30 am

I did a test and there should be no issue in tracking the camera. You can then create the smoke several different ways - Particle Illusion, Stock footage, or Trapcode Form. You ca even use a 3d displacement plugin like FreeForm Pro. However the biggest issue will be the interaction of the actor with the smoke. As he walks through it, there should be swirls and the smoke should move.
The easiest way would be to use a 3d particle system in C4d and create turbulence by matching the position of the actor. This tutorial may be a starting point:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]