ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Line animation for maps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared GardnerLine animation for maps?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 1:58:37 pm

I'm trying to get some dotted lines to animate starting from nothing. What I mean is like a dotted line on a map wiping over to the next area on the map. I've created some -------- lines and got the path right with the pen tool but I'm stuck on trying to get it to animate out, and animate out starting from one place and ending on another.

I'm thinking I should maybe do this with a stroke/solid instead but I wouldn't know how to get the stroke to be a dotted line.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Line animation for maps?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:21:15 pm

This is pretty easy, but not obvious - you want to use Text on a Path:

Check out this tutorial, then choose a typeface in which the Period character has the look you want (round dots or square dots). You can change the spacing of the dots by kerning the text. All sorts of capabilities.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Line animation for maps?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:45:06 pm

Another approach is to use the shape tool to create a stroke only. Open up the stroke parameters and change the Line Cap to "Round Cap" and in the Dashes twirl down add a dash and gap. Now adjust the Stroke width and Gap to taste. Then use the Add flyout to add a Trim Paths and you can build on your dots. Check out this little example project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved