ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a static audio waveform?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey WilliamsCreate a static audio waveform?
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:50:27 am

Is there any way to create a static waveform for an audio clip, one that looks like the waveform in the timeline?

I want to create a recreation effect and show a playback bar travelling over the waveform. My first thought was to screen capture the timeline itself and use that as a picture element, but that doesn't seem like an elegant solution. Plus, if I have to churn out a bunch of these FX, that will get extra tedious.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Create a static audio waveform?
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:11:47 pm

Create a comp and drop the audio into it. Add a solid to the comp and use the effect Generate > Audio Waveform and set up the parameters to taste. Now precomp both the solid and audio layer and enable time-remapping on the precomp. Find the frame of audio that looks best add another keyframe and press cntl+alt+H to change it to a hold keyframe and move that to your first frame of the comp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey WilliamsRe: Create a static audio waveform?
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:53:02 pm

Thanks, that would work, but in my case, it looks like I'm going to have to screenshot the actual waveform from a timeline and use that. I'm working on a clip where people are talking about a specific sound and playing it back on a visible screen, so I need the graphic to match the sound.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Create a static audio waveform?
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 4:55:18 pm

It seems like you need the entire waveform, not just a snapshot. If that's the case, I would at least bring it into Audition to do that, at the very least you can make it a lot bigger, zoom in, change the waveform & background color(in the preferences)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Create a static audio waveform?
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:58:09 pm

you can't get the time resolution fine enough to make a good waveform in ae with this technique, but it does produce a graphic representation of the sound wave...

use the keyframe assistant to convert the audio to keyframes, add a new solid throw the write-on effect on it. then add this expression to the brush position:

amp = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");
freq = 48000;
yMult = 10;
xMult = 400;
y = Math.sin(Math.PI*time*freq)*amp * yMult;
x = time * xMult;
value + [x,y]

adjust the freq, yMult and xMult to suit and it should draw out the audio amplitude with points.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]