ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I want to create a portrait composition in After Effects CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Henley
I want to create a portrait composition in After Effects CS6
on Sep 26, 2013 at 2:59:00 pm

I'm trying to add some simple animation to a portrait illustration and I want to keep the original dimensions (4870 X 6573). I've set up a composition at W:1623 and H:2192 (the same ratio), square pixels, 29.97 fps. I'm exporting as I normally do with the 'vimeo preferred settings': H.264 Codec. On the Output Module settings an error message comes up saying 'Warning: output file will be resized from 1623 x 2192 (1.00 PAR) to 1622 x 1080 (0.89 PAR) to meet format constraints.'

When I view the exported file on Quicktime it is much reduced in quality.

Can anyone help me so that the file comes out at the same quality it appears in after Effects at full res? Or provide another solution for the problem?

thanks,

Richard

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I want to create a portrait composition in After Effects CS6
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:46:37 pm

When all is said & done, how do you intend to use this very large AE animation? How do you intend to play it back? In short, what are the requirements of the file you have to deliver?

For a really authoritative answer, it's necessary to know additional information about your machine & software, a list of which you'll find here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Henley
on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:33:27 pm

I only want it to play back at high res for a projection. It doesn't necessarily have to be as huge as the file size I've suggested, but at the moment that seems to be the only size which appears to be decent enough quality. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:38:19 pm

The H.264 codec was designed only for certain kinds of video, and so it has some constraints that are being enforced here. I'd recommend using a video codec that doesn't have these constraints.

Tell us in more detail exactly how you'll be using this video, and maybe we can recommend a better choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Richard Henley
on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:41:32 pm

OK. So would there be a better codec option which still delivers at a smaller size like H.264?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:43:08 pm

That narrows it down, but only a tiny bit.

You don't describe the projection system: It could be one designed to project images on L'Arc de Triomphe in Paris. It could a 75-buck screen shooter from Office Max.

You don't say what you must use to play it back; different projection systems require different playback devices.

Answer those questions first. Then work backwards from there to your AE animation.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Richard Henley
on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:50:30 pm

Well it's a college project, so I want to be able to play it to show my class and my tutors. I can't give you the specifics of the projector I'm afraid. Ideally I'd like to be able to play it back in High Definition on my macbook pro, or of a similar quality to the HD settings for vimeo.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:16:48 pm

HD? Then you are limited to the vertical resolution of an HD file for your AE animation. Of course, you could always rotate the projection device 90 degrees to get a lot more vertical resolution... just remember which direction you intend to rotate the device, or your animation would be upside-down.

And what KIND of HD? 1920x1080? 1280x720? At what frame rate do you intend to animate?

I bet you thought this stuff was pretty straightforward.....

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:47:38 pm

If you're playing back from your computer, you can use a codec with less compression, such as PNG in a QuickTime (.mov) container. The limiting factor there will be disk speed, so be sure to test the output.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]