ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re-drawn section in psd not updating properly in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Simpson
Re-drawn section in psd not updating properly in After Effects
on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:16:39 pm

Hi, Im having a strange issue in AE. I drew a larger bicep in place of the original in a psd that I am animating with the puppet tool in AE. For some reason, the newly drawn parts are only partially showing and the mesh is missing from the newly drawn areas. Also, I cant figure out why the bottom line of the tricep is showing and the rest isnt. Attached is a shot of the area, complete with the mesh and a shot of what it is SUPPOSED to look like from the psd. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Re-drawn section in psd not updating properly in After Effects
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:31:02 pm

Try going to the PSD in your Project tab of AE, selecting the PSD file, right-clicking, and choosing Reload. That should do it. If not, try closing, then reopening the project.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:34:01 pm

What version of After Effects?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:44:20 pm

Totally current in the CC

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:56:30 pm

What happens if you purge the RAM and disk cache ( Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache )?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05:02 pm

Btw, thank you very much for your help.

Clearing the cache and memory did not work and neither did a reload. I am wondering if this has something to do with the puppet pins that were already placed when I re-drew the arm?

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:49:24 pm

Is it a layered comp by any chance? If it is, and you added a new layer to your PSD with the new artwork, it won't show up. Only existing layers in the layered comp will update.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:19:05 pm

It is a layered comp, yes. However, I did not create a new layer, I drew on an existing one and part of the drawing is showing up in AE, but it does not animate with the rest of the layer it is on.

But this explains why the layer I created today is not showing up, thanks! I will just import that on its own, but the drawing I did on an actual layer should update properly. I'm confused.

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:31:31 pm

*actual existing layer

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:54:50 pm

Okay, now it is getting bizarre. I went ahead and imported the updated PSD and when I copy/pasted the puppet effects onto the new version, the same part of the arm that I drew on the other one disappeared as well. So this is definitely a puppet pin thing.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:52:19 pm

Welcome to the world of Puppet Pinning :) Get used to meshes doing weird things unexpectedly, especially if you've got everything set up like you want it and hit the 3D switch, or collapse transformations switch. You'll figure it out I'm sure.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 10:59:37 pm

Yeah man, I completely started over on this. This is only my third AE project and my first time with puppet pins.

So I figured out that if I increase the expansion and the triangles, it finally found the rest of the re-draw - BUT it distorted everything else.

Anything I learn for the first time, it usually takes me about 3 tries to get it right - and these puppet pins have been no exception. It is priceless time spent.

Thanks for the help guys! Looking forward to becoming a part of this great community - have been reading it for years and just now getting involved.

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:08:55 pm

Where can I find some really advanced tuts on the puppet pins? I have been a member of Lynda.com for about 5 years, but I need something really advanced. The tuts I watched only explained the basics.

I have questions such as how to lock two pins together or how to connect multiple pins to a null object. There is no pickwhip for the pins in the effects area of the comp.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:55:39 am

I'm not sure about puppet tuts, but this script ought to save your life some time. http://aescripts.com/puppettools/ Go check this guy's vimeo page out too, he's got some wicked cool animation. https://vimeo.com/ggunn

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:18:44 pm

That's great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Sep 29, 2013 at 10:43:14 am

Just to clarify about the puppet tool which may be causing your issue:

When you first apply the puppet tool, it uses the current alpha channel of the layer to determine where to draw the mesh outline. This base outline will never change regardless of any changes you do to the layer itself.

So after applying the puppet tool you can't do anything that would change the original alpha channel or everything will go wonky.

You also can't turn on the collapse transformations switch on a puppet layer, as this will move any layer transforms to before the puppet effect, thereby potentially changing the alpha again.

Hope this is of any help.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:04:24 pm

Yeah, that is what I finally sorted out in my mind after starting completely over on it. It is a quirky tool but is great if you are patient with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]