ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

TGA Sequence with audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex dinninTGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 12:16:58 pm

A bit off topic.. but I've had an OB company requesting a wipe (TGA Sequence) with embedded audio???

in all my years of graphics.. and there is a fair few.. I have never ever known tga sequences with embedded audio.

but they are adamant that they exist ??

can someone confirm this / deny this

cheers

Alex

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 1:18:09 pm

What? I've heard a bunch of weird requests but that is way up there. Targa sequence is an image sequence. There is no audio. If they don't understand that you'll have to ask for a different delivery spec.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:09:56 pm

I don't even understand what this would mean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

alex dinninRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:42:45 pm

erm.. as I said.. it would be a TGA Sequence with audio embedded

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:50:47 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "I don't even understand what this would mean."

Taking a little old-school inspiration [link], I'd suggest splitting the audio into 0.0333667 second chunks, rendering the audio as waveform, stuffing it into the TGA alpha channel, telling them you've embedded the audio, and letting them figure it out... but that would be mean.

Alex, of course image sequences do not contain audio. It's customary to deliver an audio file along with the image sequence, though, and I'd ask about specs for that. AIFF or WAV, sampling rate, channel configuration, etc.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 4:53:22 pm

Could it be possible that they don't even have a vague understanding of what they're asking for, and they mean for you to import a .tga sequence, then output it in a video format?

Or could it be possible that they want a set of stills, from which they'll create a slideshow, and then play it back with a sound track from a laptop? It is puzzling...

The only thing which turns up in my search is a posting on the COW, for which there was never an adequate answer:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/905952

Here's another one, which leads me to believe that someone, somewhere may have software which creates video on the fly from image sequences:

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=78352

Of course, you'd have to provide the audio track as a separate file, synced to frame 0.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 7:33:48 am

Could you export a TGA sequence and a separate wav or mp3 file and let them handle it?

Return to posts index

alex dinninRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 10:42:23 am

It was a bit of a mexican standoff.. when they requested this.. I immediately said

"Nooo. TGA sequences can't carry audio.. it's in image sequence.."

and they replied so confidently

"TGA sequences DO carry audio.. all our other clients provide them to us"

I just started to doubt myself.. just needed a little bit of back up from some professionals..

thanks very much

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:27:00 pm

Maybe they just meant that they have used the TGA Video Codec in quicktime, which I assume would essentially be a TGA sequence inside of a quicktime movie wrapper so you can also have audio.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: TGA Sequence with audio
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:11:44 pm

[alex dinnin] ""TGA sequences DO carry audio.. all our other clients provide them to us""

To which I would reply, "I'm confident in my ability to deliver to your specs. Would be be so kind as to give the name of one of those clients so that I can double-check what you're accustomed to receiving?"

I put my money on something other than a targa sequence with embedded audio.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]