ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anyone running AE and PPro CS6 successfully on Windows 8?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Anyone running AE and PPro CS6 successfully on Windows 8?
on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:46:13 pm

I'm about to upgrade my workstation to a refurbished Z800, and was wondering how many have made the jump to Windows 8? I bought a license when it first came out, and have yet to install it, but my plan, initially, was to stay with Windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has had success - all I can find for references is at least a year old, but it seemed people were having sporadic, but not catastrophic, problems with Win 8. Has anything improved, or will it still be a crapshoot? Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Anyone running AE and PPro CS6 successfully on Windows 8?
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:23:22 pm

Windows 8 works fine in our testing.

Personally, I like Windows 7 better. (Insert disclaimer here about my opinions not necessarily being those of Adobe Systems Incorporated.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:44:58 pm

Thanks Todd - Although I grabbed a license of 8 early on, I have yet to use it. I tried it on a demo computer in a shop, and it just had too much of a Hello Kitty/My First OS look to it. I believe you can change the settings, but I am very pleased with Win 7, and will probably take that route.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:49:47 pm

That was my impression, too.

FWIW, there are no reasons that we've found for choosing Windows 8 over Windows 7 for After Effects. As soon as we find a bug or feature that makes Windows 8 a better choice over Windows 7, we'll make it known (like we have done, e.g., with our strong recommendations for more recent versions of Mac OS for Premiere Pro compared with older versions of Mac OS).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:26:50 am

Hi Joe,

CS6 works fine on my Z800 with Win8 Pro (upgraded from 7 in June) - but then I haven't done any extensive testing.

Win8 Pro has one feature that nailed it for me: client Hyper-V. It's useless to most editors but to tinkerers like me, it's priceless for testing various OS installations from XP to WinServer 2012 and apps on them. You could have twenty Win7, WinServer, XP, Linux instances all running simultaneously and smoothly, provided you have gobs of RAM.

I also really like the revamped Win8 Task Manager which offers a much more granular and easier to understand view of system resources - especially disk I/O. It's not a huge benefit, but little things can go a long way. Win8 quirks aren't a big issue for me: I don't use its native full screen apps, the extra click to get to your regular desktop isn't an issue, and while I miss the Aero scheme and Win-Tab task switching, I don't weep over it.

Generally Win8 has a lot of improvements in several categories: touch, virtualization, server management. None of that is critical or even important for editors, so it's a wash. Yet if you can suffer through its few quirks - the upcoming 8.1 is supposed to make that suffering slightly easier, and eventually touch will be another killer feature - I can see it being one in Photoshop.

HTH.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:20:16 pm

Thanks for your in-depth answer, Alex. It's more the nuts and bolts of it working with the CS6 tools than getting used to a new GUI - although, that said, I make extensive use of the CTRL-Tab and ALT-Tab switching between Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects. There must be some quick navigation tool there which doesn't require a mouse - I'll have to do some homework on it.

My main worry was about the core software of CS6, as well as 3DS Max 2011, and a few other key software tools. I may just stick with Win 7, after all.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:23:29 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] " make extensive use of the CTRL-Tab and ALT-Tab switching between Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects. There must be some quick navigation tool there which doesn't require a mouse - I'll have to do some homework on it. "

Alex was talking about Win-Tab, not Ctrl-Tab or Alt-Tab -- that's a different way of switching apps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:39:55 pm

Hi Walter - While I've used the Win-Tab sporadically (if by that you mean the Windows icon key-Tab), but I find it to be visually confusing, especially when I have a lot of programs and Explorer screens open. As long as I've got something available in Win 8 (if indeed I go with it), I'm ok.

Update: I just started doing homework on 3DS Max 2011, and from all appearances, it's not supported, and doesn't run in Win 8, so my choice may have been determined for me.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:58:19 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Alex was talking about Win-Tab, not Ctrl-Tab or Alt-Tab -- that's a different way of switching apps."

Thanks Walter - exactly... Ctrl-Tab, Alt-Tab and pretty much all the other Windows keyboard shortcuts stay the same. Windows-key-Tab is a cool way to cycle through running apps in 3D-esque way that dazzles onlookers... :)

The few things that are different:
- Need to click on "Desktop" on a fresh login to get to your regular desktop. If you hibernate ("sleep" your system) w/o logging out - not even that. 8.1 is supposed to give you an option to boot straight to desktop. Apparently some users didn't like Win8 quilt interface - and Microsoft listened - image that!
- getting to apps that aren't pinned to your desktop or taskbar: searching for and finding them is a bit different than in previous versions. Not difficult - just different.

I can't think of anything else although I am sure there are a few things.

Things Win8 does better:
- touch of course, including trackpad gestures. Not yet a killer feature in editing but will be soon
- multi-monitor support
- storage (storage spaces, VHD boot, activity monitoring)
- power management
- networking (SMB3 for instance)

In other words as long as your apps are supported on Win8 (few aren't) - there is little to be said in favor of staying with Win7 other than the familiar interface.

3DS Max 2011 isn't officially supported (of course they want you to upgrade to 2013) - yet it looks like the issues are limited to graphics drivers. I.e. it can be made to work w/o major pain.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 26, 2013 at 1:23:57 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "Things Win8 does better:"

Also Win 8 boots insanely fast. This doesn't matter if your workstation is on 24/7 though ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]