ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotate 3D text characters in 3D space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin ParsonsRotate 3D text characters in 3D space
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:17:26 pm

I have some 3D text that I want to have rotating on all 3 axes but right now I can only rotate on one. The text layer is 3D and I have my comp set to Ray-Trace but when I dial down into the layer – Layer > Contents > Character > Transform > Rotation - I only have the option of rotation on one axis, not 3. Does anyone know how I can change this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rotate 3D text characters in 3D space
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:43:48 pm

Are you trying to rotate each individual character separately, or the whole text layer all together?

If the latter, just use the normal Rotation properties (X,Y,Z) in the Transform property group.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dustin ParsonsRe: Rotate 3D text characters in 3D space
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:45:45 pm

Yeah, I want to rotate each character independently. I have the option of rotating the whole text layer on all axes but not the individual characters.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:47:41 pm

Choose the Enable Per-Character 3D option in the Animate menu for the text layer.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-text.html#per_characte...

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Dustin ParsonsRe: Rotate 3D text characters in 3D space
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:04:55 pm

Sorry I was mistaken, it is not a text layer it's actually a shape layer. I didn't have the font for the logo I'm recreating so I had to do it as a shape but I still have each letter as an individual element in the Contents of the shape layer.

I do not have the option of enabling per character 3D in the animate menu for the layer. Is what I'm trying to achieve still possible?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:10:32 pm

No. You can transform a shape layer in 3D space, but the shape layer itself only has 2D transformations within it, so you can only transform shapes within a shape layer in 2D. To do what you want to do, you'd need to have a separate shape layer for each shape that you want to rotate separately in 3D.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]