ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding Mask points in AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg JonesAdding Mask points in AE CC
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 3:37:18 pm

I've been using AE for 10 years. In the past when I create a custom mask, I would click on the Pen tool, click on a point move my mouse click on another point and the mask would start forming. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this in CC. I click with the pen tool and it creates my first mask point, but when I click the second point nothing happens. I've tried holding down option, shift, control ,etc. What's the secret to drawing a mask in AE CC? Can't seem to find anything online about this.

Greg Jones

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Adding Mask points in AE CC
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:46:51 pm

Nothing has changed here, and what you're doing should work.

Maybe reset your preferences? Relaunch Ae, and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while Ae is starting.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sam FreemanRe: Adding Mask points in AE CC
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:56:53 am

I've got exactly the same problem here (CS6 no problem - CC in joy). After you've made your first point It comes up with the add vertex pen tool rather than the make new vertex point tool and it won't toggle off onto another pen tool.

It also seems to only be on vector/illustrator files...

I've reset the preferences but no joy. Did you find a solution to this?

IMAC 3.2Ghz I3
OSX 10.8.5
16 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB
After Effects CC

Return to posts index

Greg JonesRe: Adding Mask points in AE CC
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 12:59:57 pm

Still doing it. I've reset preferences. It's very annoying.

Greg Jones

Return to posts index

Rolando SalazarRe: Adding Mask points in AE CC
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 1:51:59 am

Had this problem too. For my specific case I was trying to mask a layer which had an 'animation composer' marker in tag. I found that if I selected the layer with a timestamp before the marker tag i had the masking problem. But if I select a timestamp after the marker tag then the problem went away. No idea if it was the marker itself or that it was using slider settings up until that marker tag.

If you don't have animation composer operating on that layer you are having trouble with, I would just double check you select the layer at a time stamp without any sliders/markers in effect

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved