ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lined Timeline Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SimsLined Timeline Effect
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:18:52 pm

I wasn't exactly sure how to explain what I'm looking to create. My client wants a timeline effect similar to the one used on the side of Apple's Time Machine. Here is the video he sent me showing the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h3osFFNulAQ#t=94

I'm creating a timeline of events and that's the type of timeline he wants across the bottom. I'm still a little new to expressions and I assume that will be the way to go. Basically I want the main line at the time to move vertically, change color and even scale a tiny amount. Then I want the others on the sides of it to stair-step up/down.

It would be great if there was a way to make it work as text works. I feel the animation controls with the offset would be great for something like this.

Any insight would be great. I attempted to search for something, but I didn't exactly know what to call it.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Lined Timeline Effect
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 8:38:40 pm

I've put together a sample file with a controller for Z offset and opacity offset, if this is what you need help with.

You can download the aep file here:

6555_offset.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Justin SimsRe: Lined Timeline Effect
by on Sep 25, 2013 at 11:34:29 am

Well, thank you. This is pretty cool, but my question was more about the literally timeline that was to the side of the screen. I already have a display for the images created and want a timeline to go with it.

I now realize the YouTube video I placed into my original post didn't actually keep the time I wanted the video to start at. If you look at the video starting around the 1:30 mark, you'll see the timeline at the side of the screen and the effect I want to achieve.

Regardless, thank you for your assistance. That was an effect I thought about attempting, but decided to go a different route. I do like your solution to it as well.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Lined Timeline Effect
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:39:34 pm

More like this?

TL Mock

Here's the file:

6566_tlmockup.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Justin SimsRe: Lined Timeline Effect
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29:56 am

Yes. That's more of the effect I was looking for. After your last message, I basically came up with this same idea. I used a lowercase "L" in a sans-serif font. Instead of having a light in my comp, I made the animator effect both scale and color, so I went from a light grey to a white that and and set the animator shape to Triangle.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]