ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Future-proof still image format?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen NorringtonFuture-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 3:15:56 am

Hi there, I have a large amount of high-value 1920 x 1080 footage originated on AVCHD that I'd like to archive as still-image sequences.

What format would be the safest for long-term storage ie: most likely to remain useable by AE and the like, and least likely to get deprecated or abandoned?

I'm leaning toward TIFF but archive size and maintenance are considerations. PNG seems feasible too. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Best,
Stephen Norrington

Artproject Independent Production

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Future-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:32:44 am

Both of those seem very safe for the foreseeable future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Stephen NorringtonRe: Future-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:50:55 am

Hi Todd, thanks for that. What's your feeling also about openEXR as an AE-viable future-proof archive format? It's significantly smaller than TIFF and the AVCHD material I have today will ultimately go into comps involving 3D far down the road, on a version of AE five years or more from now.

Stephen Norrington

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Future-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:49:58 pm

I think OpenEXR is a fine idea, too. The format is totally open, is the backbone of many production pipelines, and I expect it to remain well-supported in the industry for the foreseeable future.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Future-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:41:59 pm

Walter is correct.

Note that I need to be really careful what I say here, since promising (or appearing to promise) functionality far into the future is a tricky legal area for a big software company.

But, yes, OpenEXR is a format that I foresee After Effects importing for a long time.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Stephen NorringtonRe: Future-proof still image format?
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:23:55 pm

Thanks Walter, Todd, much appreciated and fully understood - no guarantees in life :-) - cheers, Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]