ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Intersecting lines/objects: making intersection 'soft'? (fillets? chamfers?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardIntersecting lines/objects: making intersection 'soft'? (fillets? chamfers?)
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:11:40 pm

Imagine you've created two boxes or thick lines in two different Shape Layers (although it could be anything-- footage, text, whathaveyou). One horizontal, one vertical.

How would one make the INTERSECTION of these two layers 'soft', that is, not right angled? A nice curved fillet or chamfer? And have the intersection stay 'soft' even as the layers moved about?

Thanks!

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Intersecting lines/objects: making intersection 'soft'? (fillets? chamfers?)
by on Sep 21, 2013 at 9:02:42 pm

The only way I can think or would also round all the corners. If your cool with that, then give this a try.

Make an adjustment layer above the alpha layers and add a blur effect (fast blur, gaussian, etc) and set a blur amount. Then add a levels effect and tighten up the alpha levels so the soft edges get sharp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Intersecting lines/objects: making intersection 'soft'? (fillets? chamfers?)
by on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:37:46 am

I'll give that a try, Kevin, thanks.

To describe it 'better' (or at least more), what I'm attempting is almost a 'metaball' effect, but only in 2d, where the lines have a sort of illusion of surface tension.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Intersecting lines/objects: making intersection 'soft'? (fillets? chamfers?)
by on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:29:35 pm

Kevin's approach is a great one. Another good option is to use the Median effect. Unfortunately Median runs quite slowly.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]