ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

morphing vectors..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Constablemorphing vectors..
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:58:01 pm

I have posted this already but I cant work out how to do this and my deadline is approaching fast

I have these six icons as vectors, and the brief is to have move quickly into the central of the screen, appear to 'tussle' or agitate each other, then morph into a wiggling shape (represented by the flower like shape in the image) that we then zoom into to fill the screen. For the tussling, my client referred to how cartoon characters might fight in a ball, with legs and arms popping out..

Its the morphing, bit that is really hard - any tips on how to approach this? which tools to use. I have tried animating the paths of the icons to distort them and also scale them down, but it just looks rubbish!

Im also thinking about how to distort the unified path of all of the tussling icons to form the wiggling shape, possibly to use mocha to create an animated mask?

Any ideas much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: morphing vectors..
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:58:40 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about morphing all the layers.

I would use a lot of shake when all the layers come together.

I would hide the other layers behind the final symbol by fading it up on top of them.

I would only morph the final shape. To do this you could use Layer>auto-trace. Then starting with the correct mask it draws for you start keyframing the layer mask backward in time and distorting it.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: morphing vectors..
by on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:26:49 pm

only instead of auto-trace, which doesn't always give you the best results, I'd just convert the vector layer to a shape layer and then follow Mathew's instructions animating backwards. Have you messed around with Warpomatic? It's new with CS6 I think.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved