ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text animations combined with layer styles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian HaufText animations combined with layer styles
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:58:58 pm

I have built a text animation on a text layer to which I have
added a gradient overlay. The animation works fine however the
gradient does not follow the animation and seems to snap into place at the end of the animation. I have tried precomposing the text layer and adding the gradient to the precomp and I get the same behavior. I have tried using a ramp effect directly on the text or precomposing the text and adding ramp to the precomp and both give me the same result. I have tried creating a track matte to a solid with the ramp effect applied and parenting the ramp solid to the animated text layer. In all cases the gradient will not follow the animated text. I have searched the AE forum and found questions about similar problems but none recieved a solution. Is this something that just can't be done? It seems strange adobe would provide per character animation but only with text using solid colors. I'm currently using AE 5.5
Any help or insight into this problem would be very much appreciated

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Text animations combined with layer styles
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:51:28 am

Unless the movement of each individual text character can be replicated by the gradient then it's an impossible task.

You may want to send in a Feature Request to the AE Team here ->

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Brian HaufRe: Text animations combined with layer styles
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 1:36:31 pm

Thanks for getting back. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a way. Seems like it would be a no brainer. I'll put in a feaure request.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved