ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best AE CS6 export settings for an Avid Project?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin GadberryBest AE CS6 export settings for an Avid Project?
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 6:30:29 pm

Hey folks,

I'm a film student and Premiere Pro editor who is learning to use Avid to get an edge when I go out in the working world! That said, learning how to integrate Avid with AE is proving to be less straightforward than I had hoped.

I've figured out (to a degree, haha) how I need to send files out of Avid to get to AE, but I'm not sure how I should export on the round trip back to Avid.

I have two types of videos I need to send back to Avid.

One is just some credits/graphics, and I'm wondering what option I should choose to avoid the dreaded transcoding (is "MXF 0P1 A" Avid's MXF format?) and also preserve full quality.

The second is footage that I import into AE to color correct and then grade with Magic Bullet Looks. What's the best option export wise there?

Thanks folks!

-Benjamin Gadberry Productions

http://bengadberryproductions.tumblr.com/

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Best AE CS6 export settings for an Avid Project?
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:29:23 pm

I use both Avid and AE and anything exported from the Avid I use DNxHD codecs wrapped in a quicktime wrapper. Coming out of AE, I use the same thing Avid DNxHD with the same frame rate as my project, so I can get a quick import.

You can download the codecs for quicktime HERE

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Benjamin GadberryRe: Best AE CS6 export settings for an Avid Project?
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:11:20 am

Hi John, thank you for your reply!

Is there any quality loss going out of Avid, into AE, and then back, or are these DNxHD codecs lossless?

Also, while I have your attention, haha––I started by importing my latest project h264 files through AMA––if I wanted to transcode them at the highest possible quality, what would be the best format? I keep asking this question and getting different answers.

-Benjamin Gadberry Productions

http://bengadberryproductions.tumblr.com/

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Best AE CS6 export settings for an Avid Project?
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:27:17 am

When you import files into Avid they are transcoded to Avid DNxHD(unless you AMA). Routinely, to save drive space I use the lowest DNxHD codec(there are 3 choices per format) and not one person has ever complained about the quality, it's not lossless, but it's broadcast quality. If you keep everything at DNxHD, there won't be any noticeable quality loss, it's a really good codec, the flip side to that is the files will be a lot larger.

The different answers probably are cause h264 is a pretty compressed lossy format, so transcoding to the highest quality won't be any different than using a lower quality(if you are in the avid). You could stay in h.264 if you wanted, but I tend to find that the Avid performs better if transcode to it's native file format.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]