ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

sky replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel prellsky replacement
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 6:13:33 am

Hey guys,

im trying to get into sky replacement. worked quite well for some shots but messing with another one i stubled over some problems.

ive tried 2 ways till now.
1. keylight - but as the sky is more grey than blue it didnt work out
2. colorama (ramp to grey, crush dark areas enhance white -> lumamask
but as my subject in front of the sky wears a white t-shirt this doesnt work.

ive also tried garbagemasking everythign around the subject out to get a better key but again the shirt and the sky are to "similar" in certain areas.

its 7d footage (h264) thus not extremely sharp and the subject is quite far away.

i guess i could try an animated mask but i dont think this would work again cause of the distance and quality.

ill include a picture of my clip.

ouh and im working with ae cs6.

is there a way to deal with this?
maybe a complete different approach?
ouh ive also tried to change the color of the shirt to another one with the change to color filter - so the colorama would work better... didnt work either.

if anyone has any suggestions id love to hear and try them cause id really love to learn more about sky replacement.

cheers & thanks in advance

the pic again

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: sky replacement
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:24:41 am

Duplicate the layer and crush Levels, apply Keylight and tweak the edge softness, then a Matte Choker.
Use this as a Track Matte.
You will most likely have to create a separate mask for the tree on the right using the same method and a separate one for the static elements (railing ...).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

daniel prellRe: sky replacement
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 1:45:02 am

thanks a lot!
the andrew cramer tutorials are great but dont work in my case im afraid - or i cant get them to work (more likely).

in the advanced one he crushes the darks and lights and thus creates a luma matte.
if I do that the light sky and the white t-shirt just turn white.

also i cant get the keying thing to work cause the color tones of the boring sky and the dark areas of the shirt are too close together.

im trying an animated mask at the moment. but i doubt it will get me a decent result.

if anyone else has a different idea id love to try that.
i could i.e. imagine that the refine mask from aftereffects cc could help (in combi with the rotobrush) - but unfortunately i dont have ae cc :)

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: sky replacement
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:49:36 am

Rather than keying out sky u can also lay a sky right on top of your video as a multiply layer. You would be surprised how sloppy your masks can be and have this work. You can basically lay it right over a tree and mask out the tree with a garbage matte and it can work quite well.

My Work:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved