ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cinema4D Render Compositing Advise

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon St Cyr
Cinema4D Render Compositing Advise
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:00:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a quick shot for a short film (see image below) and I wanted some advice. Basically, I'm not sure when to stop doing stuff in C4D and get it out and into After Effects. IE, how much "evironmental" stuff like fog and the like should I be doing in C4D as opposed to doing it in after effects?

I'm going for the most realistic shot I can generate. The final sequence will be these doors being kicked open. I will be compositing footage in the open doorway which was shot at night with moonlight and lots of fog/smoke.

C4D is fairly new to me and am learning as I go.

Thanks for the advise! and I'd appreciate any comments that could be helpful in making this as realistic as possible.

Thanks!
Brandon

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Cinema4D Render Compositing Advise
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:15:18 pm

Realistic volumetric effects are neither easy to do nor fast to render. I'd try compositing in Ae first for this shot. I think you'll have an easier time making a realistic composite with good-looking fog footage than first trying to make good-looking fog, then trying to composite it.

You might even throw just a little bit of Particular-generated fog into the scene over real fog footage to give yourself a little more control over how it moves.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brandon St Cyr
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:57:13 pm

Walter - thanks for the tips. That's kinda where I am leaning. Since the fog footage is pretty heavy (the shot is somewhat stylized) was thinking about doing a very subtle Particular fog/dust that 'blows' inward slightly as the doors open...then have additional subtle fog move into the space from the outside.

I'm assuming also some sort of depth pass from C4d would be helpful too?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:59:53 pm

[Brandon St Cyr] "Walter - thanks for the tips. That's kinda where I am leaning. Since the fog footage is pretty heavy (the shot is somewhat stylized) was thinking about doing a very subtle Particular fog/dust that 'blows' inward slightly as the doors open...then have additional subtle fog move into the space from the outside."

Sounds like a good plan.

[Brandon St Cyr] "I'm assuming also some sort of depth pass from C4d would be helpful too?"

What do you intend to do with the depth pass?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brandon St Cyr
on Sep 18, 2013 at 11:59:33 pm

I was thinking of adding some depth of field and maybe try the 3D fog in After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]