ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My timeline won`t set to 3.75 seconds, what can i do???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria SlagsvoldMy timeline won`t set to 3.75 seconds, what can i do???
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 5:50:58 pm

Hey. I have an assignment where I will make a television vignette. Length can only be in 3.75 seconds. When I try to set the timing on this in AE, it automatically jumps to 6 seconds. I try to scrub the timeline manually, it will not go to 3.75, the closest it comes is 3.24 seconds before the "jump" to 4 seconds. Length must be exactly 3.75. Really need help to resolve this.

Thanx for reply.

Maria

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: My timeline won`t set to 3.75 seconds, what can i do???
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 8:36:15 pm

set your frame rate to 24 frames per second and for duration enter in 3:18. That would be 3.75 seconds.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: My timeline won`t set to 3.75 seconds, what can i do???
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 8:40:26 pm

3.75 seconds is an odd way to define the length of a video.

Durations in video are generally measured in Hours (H), Minutes (M), Seconds (S) and Frames (F), time code is in the basic format HH:MM:SS:FF. As a result there is not a straight forward way to enter the number of seconds in a decimal format in AE.

Instead you need to determine what the frame rate of your video is and convert the fractional portion of the seconds into frames. So, for example, when you say 3.24 you are most likely referring to 03:24 meaning 3 seconds and 24 frames. On the next frame it advances to 4 seconds, which I'm guessing means you are working at 25 frames per second.

So .75 seconds or 3/4 of one second would be equal to 25 frames per second * 3/4 seconds = 18.75 frames. Unfortunately you cannot have a fractional frame (one frame is the smallest unit) so you either need to move to a different frame rate or choose the closest whole integer frame value.

One option is to leave the frame rate at 25 frames per second and make your video 3 seconds and 18 frames long (so that it fits just under the 3.75 limit).

Alternatively you could change to a frame rate that evenly divides into 3/4 (0.75) such as 24 frames per second (24 * 3/4 = 18) or 60 frames per second (60 * 3/4 = 45). Personally I'd go with 24 if there are no frame rate requirements as there will be fewer frames to render (it will render faster than 60 frames per second).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Maria SlagsvoldRe: My timeline won`t set to 3.75 seconds, what can i do???
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 10:03:30 pm

Thank you for your help. I know it's a weird time code, but that's what I got in brief from the television channel. I think they're pretty strict about it in terms of how much time each sponsor will have on display. But this will probably work. tahnks a lot!

Maria

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]