ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slightly different mask/shape layer text reveals...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John PartSlightly different mask/shape layer text reveals...
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 3:24:39 am

OK I'm close to pulling my hair out here. I want to to do what I think is a basic text reveal, but the way I want it to reveal with my typeface is really getting to me now. Basically this is what I'm after (example letter from blocky font):

I sort've achieved it using the typical apply stroke start/end method, but this didn't fit what I needed as I couldnt give the brush a square cap (looks better with blocky font) plus it was limited to 50px. Same issue in 3D Stroke. So after researching a bit more I came across people talking about the stroke shape layer then and trim setting but this confused me more than ever and I couldn't get anywhere close to what I'm trying to achieve. I THINK I'm going to have to do this with shape layers somehow and not masks but I've lost myself a little. Also the way the letter fills is semi-important to me if it's not too difficult (the turns happening at a similar degree as in the image)

If anyone can break this down for me I'd be so grateful, I know I have to be overthinking this. Also please note if there's a difference between using a type font in AE for the method or a layered Illustrator file with a backplate (I'd prefer to use Ai doc and animate it but it's not 100% necessary)

Cheers guys...

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Slightly different mask/shape layer text reveals...
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 5:19:35 am

Here are a couple of tips on creating such effects -
1) use a combination of linear and radial wipe transitions
2) combine (1) with a stroke applied to the shape layer PLUS Trim Paths to animate the stroke. ensure that you remove the Fill from the Shape Layer.
3) use masks to separate different parts of the text character. you will need different layers for different parts of the text character.

(2) is fastest to achieve - so look into using these first.

Convert font/text into Shape Layers before starting on the effect.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved