ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jittery PSD's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DavidsonJittery PSD's
by on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:49:46 pm

This has been posted many times and never really answered. I have PSD's in a comp (29.97 HD) and they look like photos on a wall. When panning across the PSD's with a 3D camera, invariable I get this weird jitter and odd edge issue in ram previews as well as renders.

You'd think that these would look perfect as the source elements are PSD's and it's being done in after effects. It can't be that hard - my Apple TV screen saver can do it.

Working with latest CS6 on a Mac. No OpenGL. Settings are correct. We're experimenting with creating this in a 30p comp and then letting FCPX manage the interlacing. We've tried adding a slight blur, rebuilding cameras, nesting comps, etc. It is asinine that this problem still exists, right?

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Jittery PSD's
by on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:31:30 pm

[John Davidson] "my Apple TV screen saver can do it."

I can't say much about what's going on since I haven't seen the video. But I'm betting your screen saver outputs way more than 30fps.

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Jittery PSD's
by on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:18:07 pm

Hard to comment on with nothing to look at. Post a video.

My Work:

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Jittery PSD's
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:18:53 pm

I can't post client content. We basically are having to build it at 1080p 60p, and then importing that into FCPX for conversion to 29.97. Hopefully our graphics won't look too video-y.

This is a pretty common problem that lots of people have posted about over the years. The previous solutions are 'turn on motion blur' and 'add a blur to the overall comp'. I was just curious if anyone else had figured out a better solution.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jittery PSD's
by on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:04:26 am

You're seeing a phenomenon known as judder: you see it when the horizontal motion is wrong for the frame rate. It happens a lot, especially in 24fps films, but DP's have little charts worked out so they can avoid it.

There are two ways to get rid of judder: change the duration of the horizontal motion (but not the distance), or change the distance of the horizontal motion (but not the duration).

Okay, there's a third option, too: change both the distance of the horizontal motion and its duration by quite a bit.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved