ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quadro 5000 in XEON System with 64 Gigs RAM Really slow GUI?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clifford Sonnentag
Quadro 5000 in XEON System with 64 Gigs RAM Really slow GUI?
on Sep 13, 2013 at 12:22:33 pm

Has anyone else experienced the really extremely slow GUI redraws in CS6 or CS5 using a Quadro 5000 with XEON processors?

My issue is that renders and high level graphics processes are smooth as butter and fast, but when it comes to something as simple as moving a keyframe in After Effects or simply changing a virtual audio knob in a Premiere audio effect everything seems to hault and slow down to 1995 speeds. It is like the system can not draw the display and the refresh rate slows to like 1 frame every second or two.

I've had this system for over a year now and I've contacted Adobe (no help), Nvidia (no dice), PNY (Helpful, but no solution). I really feel taken advantage of because I pent loads of money on this system and although renders are great, the basic building structure of the applications are dog slow.

I've updated the drivers. Short of taking the whole computer apart and trying different monitors/hard drives/reformatting the entire system etc.... This is really annoying.

Anyone have similar issues in CS5 through CS6 while using an incredible system?

Thanks Again.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Quadro 5000 in XEON System with 64 Gigs RAM Really slow GUI?
on Sep 13, 2013 at 3:49:33 pm

Keyframes and input commands are single threaded. That makes the performance considerably different for those. What Xeon CPU's do you have?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:38:15 pm

The October 15th update is supposedly addressing this issue. Let's hope that's for real because you're definitely not the first to complain about it.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Clifford Sonnentag
on Oct 4, 2013 at 6:15:12 am

I can't wait.. and THANK YOU

Return to posts index

Leigh Dowding
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:42:29 am

Has the October update fixed your issue? (guessing that you are on CC and not CS6 like me).

I have the same setup in the office, but my home computer is less than half the power, but faster to work on.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:06:15 pm

I may just have gotten used to what AE has become with the global cache and it's effects on the GUI. I don't really feel like it's sped up with 12.1 or even 12.2, but nobody has talked about this or shown any evidence of improvement. I feel like there may be some driver issues since I work on a Wacom, but a LOT of people work on tablets so wondering if we've all just been conditioned to a slower interface.

Part of me thinks they haven't been able to really nail it down since Steve Forde's poll about working on just speed for 2014.

In the meantime, I just adapt and learn to work with it.

BTW, CS6 and CC behave very much the same on my machine (global cache introduced in CS6).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Clifford Sonnentag
on May 13, 2014 at 5:08:02 am

I'm still having the trouble. Is there something else i could be missing? I also have redraw issues in light room 4 with resizing of certain tools like the brush. I feel there is some hardware limitation here. Like the fact Quadro 5000 is Gen2 and I have it in a Backward compatible Gen3 PCI slot?? Or some sort of problems with my windows installation because I have my swap on a separate drive?

It pains me to think this system I put so much time into has problems with something so simple as mouse overlay speed issues.

Return to posts index

Clifford Sonnentag
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:11:36 pm
Last Edited By Clifford Sonnentag on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:17:35 pm

Re installed the system. Went right back to extremely bad performance in redraw and basic program usage in Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects; Speedgrade is the worst of all. Noticed a significant decrease in performance when installing the Intel and Marvel Controller drivers. Things as simple as changing the exposure are hanging the redraw long enough to call it laggy.

Did anyone else have similar hardware issues with the Asus Z9pe-d8 ws and quadro cards and find a solution?

take a look at a video showing the lag:

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]