ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects applies effect to entire source clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Britton
After Effects applies effect to entire source clip
on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:07:20 pm

My job just made the move to Adobe editing software and I'm having some issues with After Effects. I work on football highlights so my source clips are very large .MTS files which contain an entire quarter of football each. When I apply an effect to a single clip, in this case the shatter effect, it applies it to the entire source. So the shatter will happen right at the beginning of the source clip, and the part of the clip I want, and any other clip using that source video, will be shattered already. That's not how it works in Premiere at all so I have no idea why it is like that in After Effects. Any advice?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects applies effect to entire source clip
on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:40:21 pm

You can split the clip: Ctl-Shift-s Win, Cmd-Shift-s Mac. This limits any effect applied to only the split section.
Practice splitting clips a couple of times so you know the precise frame where the split occurs before you do it for real.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:16:54 pm

Mr. LaRonde

It's actually ctrl-shft-D or cmd-shift-D to split a layer.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Chad Britton
on Sep 13, 2013 at 12:58:56 am

I used the split method and was able to isolate the clip so that the effect only applied to it. However, I still ran into the same problem with the effect starting at the beginning of the source clip. Like if you double-click the clip, it shows the entire source video in the display and I can see the effect happening right at the beginning. Usually with basic effects I'd be able to fix this with a couple keyframes, but the shatter effect is pretty convoluted and doesn't really have a way to set when the shatter occurs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2013 at 1:41:03 am

You can control when the shatter happens by animating the position of the Force. Start with the force sphere touching nothing, then move the force to taste.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2013 at 1:38:59 am

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index