ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera following a line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableCamera following a line
by on Sep 11, 2013 at 5:39:56 pm

Firstly apologies if this has been asked a ton of times, but I can't quite seem to get the answer, and Im sure its a simple one...

• I have to create a vector animation of a full stop, that appears on a plain background,
  • A line then draws from the right hand side of the dot, and keeps growing out to the right.
  • As it does so I need to keep the camera focus on the tip of the growing line, keeping it in pretty much the centre of the screen.
  • 2 short text statements then appear above the line on it's 'journey'.
  • Eventually the line itself draws a 'pause symbol' and the storyboard goes on...

Im guessing I need a large piece of vector artwork, with the whole line, words and pause symbol all there, and then use something like mask or trim paths to achieve the growing effect.

My question is how to 'track' the tip of the growing line, and keep it roughly in the centre - (do I need a camera?)
Its gonna be tricky as the background is v plain, so not much parallax to give sense of movement..
Also how to give a natural sense of movement, so it feels like the camnera is very slightly chasing the tip...
Im guessing thats a job for the graph editor on the camera?

sorry for such a long explanation.. but brain is exhausted trying to work this out..!

Many Thanks...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Camera following a line
by on Sep 11, 2013 at 7:34:12 pm

Create a path that follows the line, link a Null to it and the camera to the Null, animate the null to follow the reveal.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved