ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

dimming/flickering when exporting interlaced footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruud van Gerven
dimming/flickering when exporting interlaced footage
on Sep 11, 2013 at 1:12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I was creating a simple logo animation with some characters (psd layers) becoming visible by simply changing their position and using a layermask. The animation works fine when i render the composition to a 1080p .mp4 with a white background but the footage needs to be interlaced 32bit with a transparant background/alpha layer. When i choose this option, the colors of the characters dim during the masking animations, and pop to their original color once the masking animation has ended...

What could cause this problem?

Thanks,

Ruud

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: dimming/flickering when exporting interlaced footage
on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:50:08 pm

Are you rendering in a codec that supports alpha channels, and have you chosen the proper KIND of alpha channel: Straight or Premultiplied?

To my knowledge there's no codec in an mp4 that will support alpha channels, and it's probably supposed to be straight.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Sep 12, 2013 at 2:40:44 am

Are you viewing the animation in QuickTime? Because it will look really weird and quick time if it has an alpha channel. You have to import it back into an editing program or in after effects to see what it actually looks like.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Ruud van Gerven
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:28:00 am

Hi Dave and Erik,

Thanks for your replies! It seemed that motionblur was the troublemaker. My knowledge of interlace is very minimal so i had no idea that motion blur with masking in combination with interlace would cause the dimming.

Thanks for your time guys.

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]