ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

graphic card for AE with Dell workstation T7600

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario League
graphic card for AE with Dell workstation T7600
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:30:20 am

Hi guys, this is my first time here. My name is mario and I do motion graphics, 2d compositing and editing.

I have an old dell precision laptop 32 bit but I will be upgrading to a dell workstation T7600 as I have credit there, so it has to be a dell T7600.
My software is avid media composer, after effects and combustion. Normally I work with HD footage but I want to have enough power to handle 4k if necessary.
Questions.

1- Graphic card ? It must work well with avid, AE and combustion. Avid guidelines says a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 is good. I’m planning for a dual 2gb Nvidia quadro 4000 or a 2.5gb nvidia quadro 5000. Which do you think is better to work with AE and combustion and rendering time. HD footage and I hope can handle 4k if necessary.

2- processors. I’ll put Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s) . It’s this ok?

3- All my software 32 bit, do I have to buy it again 64 bit? Combustion is not for sale anymore, can I use my 32 bit version in the 64bit system?

Sorry about making so many questions but before I order the workstation I want to make sure to ask people who knows about it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: graphic card for AE with Dell workstation T7600
on Sep 12, 2013 at 5:15:20 am

[Mario League] "1- Graphic card ? It must work well with avid, AE and combustion. Avid guidelines says a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 is good. I’m planning for a dual 2gb Nvidia quadro 4000 or a 2.5gb nvidia quadro 5000. Which do you think is better to work with AE and combustion and rendering time. HD footage and I hope can handle 4k if necessary."

With After Effects, it's important to understand what is and what is not accelerated by the graphics card.

The new 3D ray-tracing renderer (debuted in Ae CS6) IS accelerated, if you have a supported CUDA-capable NVIDIA card (such as the Quadros you list). Higher-end NVIDIA GTX cards provide quite a bit more bang for the buck, though I'm not sure what's qualified for Avid.

The classic 3D renderer is NOT accelerated by the GPU. It relies on the CPU.

Some specific effects (including Video Copilot's Element 3D, Mettle FreeForm and ShapeShifter, and Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks) do render on the GPU.

Unless you're doing 3D ray-tracing in Ae, you can get away with a good but not great GPU. CPU, RAM, and a fast disk like an SSD for the cache are good investments for Ae. If you are doing a ray-tracing in Ae, you can benefit from installing multiple NVIDIA GPUs at the same time.

[Mario League] "2- processors. I’ll put Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s) . It’s this ok?"

Yes, this will be fantastic. Just get lots of RAM for Ae. Aim for 32 to 48 GB for a 12-core.

[Mario League] "3- All my software 32 bit, do I have to buy it again 64 bit? Combustion is not for sale anymore, can I use my 32 bit version in the 64bit system?"

You will get a huge performance boost upgrading After Effects to CS6 or CC. 64-bit Ae means that your system can use its RAM much better -- larger images, longer RAM previews, etc. It's a huge step up.

I have no idea if or for how long Combustion will be viable on new systems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:01:59 pm

Thanks Walter. So I just learned from you that AE is accelerated by the CPU? So I guess that's good with the six dual core I chose.!!

I made my order yesterday and the card I order is the 2.5GB Nvidia Quadro 5000. It has 352 CUDA cores which I hope it perform well and with the six dual cores too.

I put only 16 gigs or ram, but I just called and see what kind of discount I'll get for 32 gigs.

I'm so excited, as I worked for ages with workstation laptop and now finally I'll get a monster...

Thanks again

Mario

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:32:01 pm

32gigs it is...done!

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:56:30 pm

[Mario League] "I made my order yesterday and the card I order is the 2.5GB Nvidia Quadro 5000. It has 352 CUDA cores which I hope it perform well and with the six dual cores too."

Please not Quadro 5000. At least K5000, better yet - K5100 (don't think that one ships yet though). If K5000 or K4000 are not available on your T7600 configuration, get it graphics-less and install a card after the fact: one of the decent GeForce cards (GTX-760, 770, 660Ti, 670, etc.) or Quadro K5000.

T7600 (and the just released T7610) are beautiful and very expensive machines, using a Quadro 5000 is akin to running Windows NT on it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 12, 2013 at 7:07:07 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "Please not Quadro 5000."

I agree with Alex -- a Quadro 5000 is not a good choice for these applications. It's quite old, it's underpowered, and it's over-expensive.

[Alex Gerulaitis] "f K5000 or K4000 are not available on your T7600 configuration, get it graphics-less and install a card after the fact: one of the decent GeForce cards (GTX-760, 770, 660Ti, 670, etc.) or Quadro K5000."

I personally prefer Quadro to GTX (even though it's more expensive for comparable-to-less power) because I have 10-bit displays. If I had 8-bit displays, I'd be on GTX, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:11:47 pm

Ok. is the Quadro K5000 much better than the Quadro 5000?

If it make a huge difference I'll change it I guess... I'll read in the Nvidia page right now

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:15:41 pm

My choices are below.....

-2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-Dual 2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-2.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-Nvidia Quadro K5000, 4GB, 2 DP + DVIi +DVId

-Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000, 2GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters)

-NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I ( 2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters)

-Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters)

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:46:40 pm

My choices are below.....

-2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-Dual 2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-2.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

-Nvidia Quadro K5000, 4GB, 2 DP + DVIi +DVId

-Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000, 2GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters)

-NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I ( 2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters)

-Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters)

Return to posts index

Mario League
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:49:36 pm

OK people...stop making me spending money....hahah

finally they stop the order and is coming with the Quadro K5000. I checked it on the nvidia site and it is much, much better and powerful than the 5000. Thanks again and I have no more money after this.....

Cheers and thanks again!

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:57:45 pm

Mario,

Based on what you told us thus far, even a K5000 is an overkill: none of your current apps use GPU acceleration, and a $50 card will likely perform the same as a $2K one. Once you upgrade to CS6 or CC, it'll be a different story.

Either Walter or I could have saved you a couple of thousand dollars tailoring your configuration to your workflow and goals, to be both effective and future proof. So perhaps next time your order a system, give it at least a few days before the order and maybe even (gasp) hire one of us? :)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]