ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

BIG Project problem!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Roughan
BIG Project problem!
on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:27:32 am

I really hope someone can help me here.
I have a huge project for a huge client that I have to make some changes on later this month.
The AE project is 12 mb, but the project folder with all the avid AAF files, C4D renders etc is 194 gigs. I brought the project folder back out of storage onto my local drive, but now the project won't open. I am now on version CC, the project is CS6.

Ive tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. When I try to open it, the "open project" window opens, the bar sits at 1%, then nothing more. I have to crash stop it. I have also tried importing into a new project; same thing. I thought perhaps because the footage is much, it might take a while, so left it going overnight. In the morning still not open.
I fear it has something to do with the Avid AAF files. Is there some trick with CC to open a CS6 file with AAF footage?

Please Help! This is really worrying...
Simon

P.S. I can open an AAF file in a new project.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: BIG Project problem!
on Sep 10, 2013 at 9:20:17 am

Man- feel your pain. Here's a few ideas:
Try opening the project with Caps lock on.
Try moving the project file out of the folder, opening it and then re-linking the assets.
Any chance you can install CS6 back? Then you can double check and see if somehow the file got corrupted.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:51:03 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, nothing works. This is a real pisser, and will cause me untold work if I have to redo this project.
It's strange how the open project window opens, then almost immediately the "not responding" windows message appears.
Is stress a good way to lose weight?

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2013 at 2:08:42 pm

Here's another trick: make a new project in CC, then IMPORT the CS6 project into it. Who knows: you might get lucky.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:20:48 pm

Thanks Dave, but have already tried this. Exact same result...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 10, 2013 at 2:32:17 pm

[Simon Roughan] "Is stress a good way to lose weight?"

Since stress raises your heart rate, it's also a good substitute for cardiovascular workouts -- right?

I think Tudor's on the right track to try to separate the footage from the project.

If you've restored your original folder structure, moving the AEP file might not be enough. Try actually moving the media somewhere else on the disk, away from its absolute original location and its location relative to the AEP File, so that Ae can't see it when opening the project.

You might also see how much of the footage successfully imports into an empty project.

There are a couple other things you might try: trash preferences & clear the cache before loading the project, and uninstall or temporarily remove third-party effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:26:08 pm

Thanks Walter.
Partial success. I moved all the video assets away into another location (including all the AAF files) and the project opens. At least thats something. Now the fun begins, relinking the footage from something like 130 comps...
Any tips?
Thanks again
Simon

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:31:36 pm

[Simon Roughan] "Now the fun begins, relinking the footage from something like 130 comps...Any tips?"

Now the trick is to find the footage that Ae is choking on.

First, can you import the files into a new project? Does it need to create conformed audio? If yes, have you cleared the cache?

I might try a binary search [link] to find the problematic file.

Close the project, move half of the source files back into their correct positions, then try to re-open it. If it fails, move half of the files that are in the right spot back out. If it succeeds, add the next half of the files. Keep going 50% at a time until you get all the files in or narrow it down to the problematic file(s).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:18:22 pm

So now, I have the project open, and the footage is in another location. The project tells me I have 356 missing files. I make a search for "missing" in the project window, and now I have a list from all my missing films. But I cant reload them. None of them. I can import 1 of them into a new project, so the film itself isn't corrupt, but when I try to reload the film into my work project, it just works and works and works (little blue turning circle in win7)and then gives me the "not responding" message again.
I've had enough for today, but if anyone has an idea...

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]