ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Truncating Layer Names

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Paul
After Effects Truncating Layer Names
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:52:46 pm

I'm having a bit of a workflow issue in After Effects.

We're setting up some PSD files that require a rather lengthy naming convention for all of the layers. The problem is that when I import the files (using Import > Composition - Retain Layer Sizes), After Effects truncates the name of any layer longer than 31 characters.

The odd thing is that 31 characters isn't really the maximum length for a layer name, as I can go in to the Layer Name and manually add more characters. (Manually correcting the layer names is not an option though, as we're dealing with hundreds of layers, and they all need to be named precisely - way too time consuming, and way too much potential for human error.)

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there any workaround? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: After Effects Truncating Layer Names
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:52:26 pm

This sounds like a legacy issue. What versions of AE and PS ar eyou using? Check for updates as they may help.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Jeff Paul
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:39:27 pm

Roland,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using CS6 of both apps. I've also tried it with Illustrator CS6 and I run into the same issue, so it seems to be something on the After Effects side of things and how it imports layers.

All apps are up to date.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:54:07 pm

I'm pretty certain that there's a proper fix somewhere BUTT I can't recall. Hopefully Todd sees this thread - he of course has better coverage on this.

In the meantime, see if this helps - http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_Commentron

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Jeff Paul
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:23:49 pm

Roland,

Cool script, but it doesn't seem to give access to the layer name, only the filename. Plus, it's working with the comment column rather than the Layer Name; we're using Zorro the Layer Tagger, so that might interfere with our workflow.

Hopefully there is a fix. Seems like a legacy problem back from OS9 days, when 31 characters was the maximum for all filenames.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:05:25 am

The 31-character limit was removed for many things in After Effects CC (12.0), as part of the same wave of fixes that we did to make non-English characters work in layer names, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]